Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Hawaii : Day Five

This was a wonderful day spent in and around Hilo. We dropped the teenagers off at an arcade in the mall.  Then we stopped by a famous woodcarvers shop.

David and his boat

David and the canoe that he is carving for someones home.

Davids Carvings

He is a very talented woodcarver.  Far Guy and Andy had a really good visit with him. Jen and I met his three year old daughter Olivia who entertained us drawing smiley faces.

After picking up the boys at the mall we headed north to Hawaii Tropical Botanical Gardens.  Far Guy and I toured the gardens while everyone else went for a long hike to a beach. The gardens are fantastic!  There are a mile of trails throughout the gardens.

IMG_3835

The Orchids were stunning…I have many many photos of flowers.  Imagine that!

Botanical Gardens

Spider Lily at Onomea Bay

Banyan Tree in Hilo

Banyan Tree at Hilo…the Banyan trees are originally from India…they were brought here by missionaries.  Several homeless people make their homes by these trees…I believe that pile of “stuff” belongs to a homeless person. At some of the beaches there would be mattresses and belongings tucked away, people pushing shopping carts and people who lived in their cars or pickups loaded with stuff covered in rotting tarps flapping in the breeze.  I believe we met one such person…I will call her Shell Mary…she was born in Minnesota but has been in the islands for many years…first in Maui which was too expensive for her and now on the Big Island…she gifted us with some shells she had collected.

We enjoyed the farmers market at Hilo…the fruit market was awesome. We tried many new to us fruits.

It was getting late and we were all hungry, we dined in Hilo at a family restaurant.  We returned to the Military Camp for one last night…this time we had a three bedroom cottage with a kitchen.  Our last cottage was perfect…it didn’t smell and was very comfortable.

Far Guy was having a difficult time breathing, between the sulpher fumes and the altitude…so we decided to return to Kona and the west side of the Big Island the next day...

****

Far Guy survived the Infusion Port replacement, however the surgeon has concerns about how well this port flows.  Far Guy is tired and sore.  He is supposed to rest as much as possible and take it easy for the next 10 days.

Blog Signature

26 comments:

Val Ewing said...

I am enjoying the sights and the places you visited in Hawaii. Thank you for bringing me so much joy!
I'm sorry that FG is so tired and sore.

linda m said...

I am enjoying your pictures; love the flowers. I will keep Far Guy in my prayers.

Pauline Persing said...

Praying for you and Far Guy. Hope the Infusion Port replacement turns out to be OK. Nice to see pictures of flowers and sunny places, especially this time of year.

Phyllis Pritchard said...

Prayers for Far Guy!

Miss Merry said...

What a lovely day! Prayers for that darn port

Tired Teacher said...

How wonderful you were able to meet and visit with the woodcarver. I know you and FG picked up some tips. Looking forward to seeing more flower photos. Thinking of FG today as he recovers.

Terry and Linda said...

I am so delighted you got to have such a wonderful trip. I would have to get masses of photos of flowers also!!! I hope Far Guy gets to feeling better very quickly!

L. D. said...

Yes, Far Guy, it needs to heal up. You can’t see it in there but he will need to be careful. It sounds like you were having a fun adventure visiting so many different places. It was nice to see everyone broke off and did their own thing.

Sara said...

I had a lot of pictures of flowers from Hawaii too. There were just so many beautiful exotic flowers. Hope Far Guy gets plenty of rest and that the port starts flowing properly.

Rita said...

The gift of those shells is something special. You'll remember meeting the Minnesotan.
The wood carver was amazing! I can imagine you being lost in a botanical garden of any kind. Hope the port works way better than expected. Rest up, FarGuy and both of you stay warm. Cold(er) snap coming again. :)

Country Gal said...

Looks like a wonderful trip . Lovely post and photos . I could do with some of that warm tropical air and sunshine , all though we have had very little snow here it still is cold . Hope all goes well for Far Guy and he gets plenty of rest . Thanks for sharing , Have a great week !

Anonymous said...

Praying for Far Guy with his recovery. I hope the port begins to work as it should. The last few days of your trip have seemed to be much better than the first few. Meeting Mary with her shells sounds like a great experience and for you and Far Guy to be able to visit with the wood cover was probably quite a treat. I’m looking forward to hearing more about your trip. Blessings, Betsy

Cynthia said...

I think if one has to be homeless, Hawaii would be the place to be. We have little camps of them here and we feel so sorry for them at night in the winter. That’s so neat you got to visit a fellow woodcarver. I really like his work. I’m enjoying your trip a lot! Hope FG recovers quickly and the port works well.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Sorry Far Guy isn't the best pain sucks, I hope he doesn't have too much pain for too long.

Tim loves visiting gardens when we go away

Laurel Wood said...

God bless FG. Sorry to hear he is tired and sore. I have loved your trip pictures. Oh, how I would love to visit this garden. What a treat to see the woodcarver's treasures too.

Granny Marigold said...

A mile of trails through a garden of Orchids... what could be lovelier?
I hope Far Guy recovers quickly.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I have enjoyed looking at your vacation pictures. I have relatives on the Hilo side of the Island, and from what they have said, I am very glad for you that the major eruption stopped before your vacation.

Anonymous said...

Lots of Prayers for fast healing and regaining strength. Just take it easy! Sharon

Red said...

You really have to discipline yourself if you want to see all the good stuff when you're on a trip.. All the best to Far Guy to keep healthy.

diane in northern wis said...

Enjoyed hearing about your trip adventures! Praying that all will be well with Far Guy and his port. Blessings to both of you!

Linda Reeder said...

Those big banyan trees are wonderful. Carving and plants, perfect for you.

DJan said...

I am thinking about FG and hoping he recovers as much as possible. He's a strong fighter, that's for sure. Thanks for the review of your day. Homeless are everywhere. Well, maybe not so many in Minnesota right now. :-)

Intense Guy said...

That wood carving is amazing! Hoe Far Guy is feeling all better soonest.

Linda W. said...

I'm enjoying your Hawaii posts. Brings back memories from our trip nearly two years ago.

Debi said...

I'll never get to Hawaii so I've really enjoyed tagging along with you! Sure hope Far Guy's port begins to work as it should and he rests and feels better soon.

Sam I Am...... said...

Wish Far Guy the best in healing up. Of course, he has a very good private nurse at his beck and call. I always wondered why homeless people stay in the North. I always thought I would wait until summer and then start walking South. Those Banyan trees are miraculous! I love flowers but I'm a tree hugger at heart.