Monday, January 14, 2019

Hawaii : Day Four

We took a quick ride with Andy to Kilauea Iki…it was close to the Military Camp. I was feeling much better especially after a breakfast of eggs, bacon and pineapple.

IMG_3677 (2)-2 

See the rainbow it is going into the pot of gold deep in Kilauea.

Kilauea Iki Crater

Kilauea Iki was a lake of lava in 1959, it is technically a pit crater located next to Kilauea which you can see in the distance…steam is rising.

The Government Shutdown closed much of Volcanoes National Park.

We headed out going through Hilo and North to a Vanilla Farm…the only Vanilla Farm in Hawaii.

Vanilla co

We had lunch and a farm tour.

Vanilla Pie Josie

A cute gal we know from Minnesota!

Lunch was vanilla lemonade (wonderful) a salad with a vinaigrette made with raspberry and vanilla, a chicken breast marinated in bourbon and vanilla then topped with an mango vanilla chutney on a vanilla bun and potatoes roasted with a southwest vanilla rub. 

Vanilla Greenhouses

The plants are grown in net like long hammocks in a soilless medium of bark in a shade greenhouse, when the plants bloom they are all hand pollinated…leaving nothing to chance.

Vanilla plant 

After the farm tour we headed back to enjoy Vanilla Ice Cream…hint for you serve your ice cream in a chilled bowl…it tastes heavenly on a warm day.  The afternoon was topped off with coffee and a trip through the gift shop.  Adam bought some vanilla beans in a jar and will make his own vanilla extract.

We drove further north…the end of the road or this road anyways.

IMG_3699

IMG_3697

IMG_3726

Driving back south …Groves of Eucalyptus trees that were planted as the next cash crop when Sugar Cane production ceased on the island.  A Japanese paper company wanted to buy the Eucalyptus trees but the natives didn’t like their spraying practices to kill off the canes. So the Japanese paper company backed out of the agreement but not before many many groves of Eucalyptus were planted.  The trees were never used and are now old groves, soon they may be cut down and burned at energy producing plants…but it sounds like that is being met with some opposition also.

IMG_3747

Next we found a beach with some crashing waves. Laupahoehoe Beach Park.

IMG_3737

It was a lovely diversion… the power of the crashing waves was fun to watch…and it was cool there!  The teenagers did boy things there, climbing rocks etc…

Akaka Falls

Our next stop was …Akaka Falls State Park.  The kids all hiked down and up again.  Far Guy and I watched the day grow darker and the feral cats come out of hiding.

We had supper at Pineapples in Hilo.  An open air restaurant with wonderful food.  After that we headed back to the Military Camp this time to a two bedroom cottage without a kitchen.

***

I have almost caught up with the laundry and menu planning for the week.  Far Guy is scheduled for surgery to have his infusion port replaced early this morning.  The catheter that leads from the port to his vein has a crack or a hole…this was discovered on Friday and the surgeon wants it taken care of.  We plan to rest up and relax the rest of the week.  Far Guy is recovering from a bad cold…which he most likely got from me in Hawaii.

Blog Signature

27 comments:

Cynthia said...

I’ll be thinking of FG this morning and hoping all goes well with the new port. Wonderful photos of so many beautiful places and beautiful memories for you all. I never thought about how vanilla grows — very interesting. And that lunch sounds amazing!

Val Ewing said...

When I was in 5th grade in 1965 we walked around Laupahoehoe and I recall the tragic story of how the kids/the school there thought the tidal wave sirens were an April Fool's joke but wasn't. That has stuck with me all of these years.

What a great trip! I am so pleased that you guys went! Hope FG is doing better, colds really are wicked. And I hope his port procedure goes without a hitch.

linda m said...

Beautiful sights in Hawaii. Sending a prayer Far Guys way for his surgery today and his cold. Praying all goes well and he recovers quickly.

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip.

Glad you're feeling better, and almost caught up on everything back home. Sorry Far Guy got your cold. Hope all goes smoothly for the surgery to replace his catheter.

Sallysmom said...

Thinking of FG. Take care of yourself too Connie.

DJan said...

I sure enjoyed your pictures of the trip. And I thought to myself when you got sick, would FG be able to avoid it. Hoping for the best with his surgery, I'll be thinking of him. Sounds like you are almost back to normal at home. :-)

Phyllis Pritchard said...

I am enjoying reading about your vacation, how fun! Hoping all goes well with Far Guy.

marlu said...

So many interesting things to learn about vanilla and your trip! The lunch sounds so delicious.

Tired Teacher said...

I've been to the Big Island twice and missed most of the things you visited. Hmm, might be time to go back. Best wishes to Far Guy.

Sara said...

I've been to the Big Island one time about 15 years ago, and it had an amazing variety of environments. The lava tubes especially fascinated me. Hope Far Guy's surgery goes well.

Jenn Jilks said...

Gosh. Great photos. Good luck with the surgery.

Miss Merry said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. Good luck to the Far Guy - praying for no complications.

Anonymous said...

It sounds as though this was a much better day for all of you. Your photos are beautiful. I remember hiking at Akaka Falls several years ago. It’s so beautiful there. I’m sorry that Far Guy now has a cold and that he has to have surgery today too. I will definitely be keeping him in my prayers. Blessings always, Betsy

thecrazysheeplady said...

Oh no. I was afraid that would happen :-(. Get well soon!

Dawn said...

I've only been to Hawaii once, but one thing I remember was all the fresh fruit at breakfast. Fabulous. Glad you are feeling better!

Bonnie said...

I've enjoyed hearing about your vacation and seeing all the pictures. I hope Far Guy's surgery goes well and you both get rested up and enjoy a quiet week.

Lady Fi said...

What gorgeous shots!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

It does sounds like a great trip, I would like to visit the vanilla farm

Red said...

What a great day. The feral cats are very, very creepy.

Granny Marigold said...

I especially enjoyed reading about your very Vanilla meal.
Hand pollinated, eh? Sounds like a lot of work. No wonder the vanilla beans are expensive.

L. D. said...

What fun we are all having. I can taste the ice cream with fresh vanilla in it. I bet your pineapple taste great to because it is fresh from the source. The one photo I enlarged really showed how beautiful those cliffs are against the water.

Rita said...

What a trip! I love vanilla and could almost smell it just reading about it.
I hope the surgery goes well and FarGuy is feeling better soon. :)

diane in northern wis said...

Loving your stories and pictures of your wonderful vacation in Hawaii. Thanks so much for sharing all this goodness with all of us. Hope all goes very well with far guy's surgery! Rest up you guys!

Shirley said...

I have always wondered about vanilla plants, what they would look like. I knew they were a bean but somehow couldn't picture them so thanks for the photos!
I love those orchids!

Terry and Linda said...

That was VERY interesting. Vanilla is my favorite of flavors.

Laurel Wood said...

All of that vanilla menu sounds wonderful! Such gorgeous, breathtaking scenery.

Sam I Am...... said...

You visited some really neat places! Loved the vanilla farm and that lunch. I've always wanted to make my own vanilla extract as it is much cheaper than buying it but I haven't done it yet. Good luck to Adam but it requires vodka I think....his parents might have to but it for him....he's not old enough yet is he?