Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Wistful Wednesday: Passionfruit

I discovered a fruit in Hawaii that I enjoyed very much. ( I thought I had died and gone to fruit heaven!)  We stopped at a thrift shop and right next door thay had a fruit stand.  The fellow there sliced open a yellow passionfruit and gave us a sample.  I was sold, I bought some fruits and a jar of golden jam.  Andy enjoyed it …the rest of the group made funny faces.
I will describe the taste as a cross between rhubarb and a tart pineapple.  The Internet describes the flavor as musky, guava like, sub acid to acid.   Well I have never tasted guava so I cannot compare.
I slathered that golden jam on my toast every morning…it was not toast with jam it was jam with toast.
Here is a look at the fruit.
Passionfruit
The yellow outer skin is sliced open to reveal a white pith and those glorious seeds.   The small black seeds are wrapped in a orange juicy membrane…you just take a spoon and eat them.  If you look under my plate you can see the jelly jar almost empty.
Passionfruits can be yellow or purple….the only ones I ate were the yellow ones.
Have you ever tasted passionfruit?
Blog Signature

19 comments:

Rosie said...

Passionfruit is one of my favorite fruits. I used to have one in our backyard. They are also grown for commercial sales. I like the purple variety but also like the banana passionfruit which has a different flavour but very nice, just not so juicy. I always decorate our favourite dessert, pavlova, with passionfruit. I really enjoy reading your blog and knowing what your weather is like there. We have had a heatwave here for over a week now with temps. over 38C (100F)which is far too hot to even go outside, I like the hot weather but it is just too long with such high temps.

linda m said...

Yes, I have. But it does last different when it is not fresh but has been shipped. Same with pineapple. fresh off the plant pineapple is to die for.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I've never even SEEN a passion fruit!

Pauline Persing said...

I've never seen a passion fruit, either.

Tired Teacher said...

I've heard of passion fruit but haven't tasted it.

Val Ewing said...

One of the ones I fell in love with at the farmers market was a star fruit...it escapes my mind right now...but it was awesome also!

Anonymous said...

I have never had passionfruit, although I did see it on our trips to Hawaii. I just was never brave enough to taste it because people said they were nasty! Ha! Isn’t it funny how peoples tastes are all different. Blessings, Betsy

Laurel Wood said...

I've never tasted or even seen passionfruit before. Sounds very good though. I know how you love your fruit.

Rita said...

Only have heard of it. Looks odd, to be honest. But I'll take your word for it being edible--LOL! :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Never heard of yellow passionfruit but my parents had a traditional passionfruit vine, I am not a fan though

Red said...

No, but it sounds like I should taste passion fruit.

diane in northern wis said...

Nope, I have never tasted passion fruit...and the pictures look a bit iffy to me...but if you were brave enough to try it...I guess I should be too, sometime. It must be good if you liked it THAT much! Always love your blog!

Granny Marigold said...

Like many of the other commenters I have neither seen nor tasted Passion fruit.
I imagine if I did find one in a store it wouldn't taste the same as one picked that day.

Linda Reeder said...

You are obviously passionate about passion fruit. I have never seen nor tasted it, but I would like to.

Victoria Zigler said...

I've had the juice, but not the actual fruit. Keep meaning to try it, but haven't yet.

Cynthia said...

My littlest grandson is on a passion fruit juice lately. Maybe i should try his.

Sam I Am...... said...

I don't think I've had passion fruit. Do they sell it at Walmart? LOL!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Probably not!

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Amazing the size of the passion fruit. Quite a bit bigger than the rather small fruits that develop on the passion vines that grow wild here.