Friday, September 7, 2018

Lawn Mower Adventure

I guess I have been stuck in a routine…my lawn mower works great…it burns a little oil and needs new mulching blades ( I usually get some for my birthday) but it mows quite well…I didn’t think I would ever get used to hydrostatic drive but I did.  I can even day dream a tad while mowing… quiet time just me and the mower…getting along just fine.

Then my baby brother bought a zero turn lawn mowing machine…only my right foot is involved and that is for raising or lowering the mower deck.…now I have to program my arms; right, left, lean way back to stop or go in reverse… boobs will get in the way. The mower was delivered here and I got lessons. I can even mow backwards…but I never was much good at backing up a lawn mower. My baby brother mowed at his place and then brought the mower back here and said “Use it.”  It will turn on a dime…and someday I will get used to the one back wheel that doesn’t like trees in it’s way.  I have discovered that you only want to get on and off of the front…cause it is a big step off either side….and if you have damp crocs…your foot will slip on the mower deck and you will fall not so gracefully. There is no day dreaming allowed whilst mowing with this lawnmower…vigilance is key to safety.

mower

It was not designed with an older woman operator in mind.  I imagine the kid that designed it…is tall and thin and he used to race go carts.

Blog Signature

19 comments:

linda m said...

Be safe when driving this machine. I haven't used one by think I would prefer the other model you had. I agree that these machines are designed for the younger generation.. I kinda like the "quiet time". Have a great weekend.

Val Ewing said...

I a chuckling while reading this. Indeed. My husband has one of these and it uses a Joystick to steer it. I was sure I would hit things because I stink at video games, however, after mowing the yard many times with it, I've gotten good at it.
You will master this, it just takes a lot of getting used to.

DJan said...

Well, it sure is a pretty thing. I hope you end up liking it as much as your old one. :-)

Sara said...

Exactly how I feel about our lawn mower. And I don't even touch it. But my husband likes to mow, so luckily I don't have to.

Tired Teacher said...

With more practice, you'll be zipping around your yard and whirling around the trees.

Karen said...

Haha...boobs will get in the way!. Just the old gas push mower kind here, although our latest one that we bought off the neighbour when they moved, has rear drive wheels, which have their good and bad points. We have a brush mower for the tractor, but our lawns aren't huge and are in little bits and pieces and some are on a slope, so they have never really leant themselves for a machine like your's. Although I'm sure Larry would love one!

L. D. said...

I have a neighbor lady mowing my yard at the old place with one similar to that. She goes tearing around like a crazy person and gets the job done. I am sure one of those would work on my lawn but the hill would be scary as I road it down. Be careful on that green monster.

Betsy said...

Be careful with that machine! While there is a learning curve, I bet it will be second nature to you in no time.
Blessings,
Betsy

Red said...

Pretty nice! If I were you I wouldn't complain. Of course , you can always send it over here if you don't want it.

Linda Reeder said...

Do you get to keep your old one? I would want to.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes I still hAve my old mower, this zero turn mower is just visiting:)

Terry and Linda said...

Looks like our alfalfa mower! You go girl...I could never do that!

Susan Kane said...

John Deere mowers and tractors have a good reputation. Maybe you could call them to send out a young hunky man to teach how to manipulate such a great machine. I would.

Happy mowing! I enjoyed your writing.

Granny Marigold said...

For heaven's sake be careful with that mower. Sounds like you already took a tumble. Hope you're not bruised too badly.

Rita said...

I think I'd prefer being able to daydream--LOL! ;)

The Wykeham Observer said...

Something tells me the "older woman operator" will do just fine. Don't listen to the naysayers. I think you need this. Have fun!

Cynthia said...

Wow, that's fancy. You will probably come to love zipping and twirling around like the youngster that invented it! Whhheeeeeeeeed! Have fun!

thecrazysheeplady said...

You never know. You might come to love it ;-).

Sam I Am...... said...

I still use my old John Deere...it doesn't have a hood anymore (stupid repair man jerked it the wrong way and broke it....long story...no, he is not allowed near my mower anymore...I have a new guy) Anyway, it still "runs like a Deere" but looks like a souped up model with no hood lol! It's 15 or 16 years old maybe older. I haven't even replaced a belt in a long time. Now my repairman is from Wisconsin and used to work at the John Deere plant there and he knows his stuff. He works on farm tractors too....he's a whiz with engines. He keeps it running for me. Those zero turn radius mowers are nice but they might be a little too fast for me...plus I have a bumpy lawn....I might fall off hitting a bump! LOL! Be careful! Nice looking machine though!