Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Colgrove Quilt

I live in Becker County, however I work in Hubbard County.  I know much more about Becker County History since I was born and raised in the county.   I did go to High School in Hubbard County..for what it is worth.

Sometimes the county lines are crossed..since we live so close to Hubbard County the lines are easily blurred. 

Such is the case with a number of items in the museum.  Today I will  address the Colgrove Quilt.

heritage Room Quilt Wall

The quilt hangs in the Heritage Room at the museum.  It is one of two items that is “on loan” to the museum.  “On Loan” so that all people may enjoy it.

During WWII local residents of the Ponsford Minnesota area brought things into the Red Owl store in Ponsford to sell.  The store was owned by Ted and Mary Colgrove.  They sold the store in 1949 to Ray and Bev Masog ( who I remember at the store).

Mrs. Clark’s quilt was not sold.  It’s original price was $10.00 but she offered it to the Colgroves for $7.50.  The Colgrove children remember the quilt being stored in a trunk..and on really cold nights it was brought out and put on a bed.  The children felt special to sleep in the bed with the Indian Quilt.

So this is a bit of Becker County history that resides in the neighboring Hubbard County Historical Museum.

Colgrove Quilt

Last winter it was taken out for appraisal.  I did not hear the evaluation.  This spring I called Joyce..because the wall was so bare..and she brought it back into the museum.

Colgrove Quilt at the museum

It is a beautiful piece of art!  The room where it is displayed has UV filters on the windows and on the light fixtures.  I would like to see this quilt  have a sleeve hand sewn at the top so that it can be secured to the board through the sleeve and not through the quilt itself.   It would require approval by the family and someone to do the hand sewing. 

Light and dust are the worst for quilts..and gravity.  Quilts that are folded in cases must be refolded every once in awhile or their folds will become creased.  All the quilts in the museum that are in cases need to be refolded.  I put it on my “to do” list.

I recently read an article that said cedar chests are bad places to store quilts long term..that the wood should be sealed for proper storage of heirloom quilts. 

Personally I have three quilts..well four..but three that I store in a Rubbermaid tote..I wonder how that rates for storage?:)

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, love the quilt...but...never meet a quilt I didn`t like...I also collect quilts and have them all over the house...in cupboards, on benches, beds, everywhere I can see them... Quilt Blessings, Francine.

DJan said...

I love quilts of all kinds, too. This one is unique and very different from most that I see. Thanks for taking a picture of the information about it so I could read it all. :-)

Muffy's Marks said...

Lovely quilt. My question is what the heck did we do with all our 'stuff' before Rubbermaid storage containers?

Anonymous said...

That is really a unique quilt. I enjoyed reading its history.

linda m said...

What a lovely quilt.

MTWaggin said...

My heirloom quilt is in a rubbermaid tote too - but hey it is in a dark closet does that count? You are right it is a lovely piece of art and really brightens up the room!

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Beautiful!!! You are so lucky to get such and heirloom on loan. The Indian reminds me of the one on the 'Big Chief' tablets.

Thanks for sharin' both the wonderful pic and history of the quilt.

God bless and enjoy your day sweetie!!! :o)

troutbirder said...

It is indeed a beutiful quilt. And I wish I knew exactly where most of Minnesota's many counties were located. In this case I know the "UP NORTH"

Nancy said...

Fabric needs to "breathe" so the best way to store quilts is to put them inside pillowcases. It is also important to roll the quilts if possible so they don't develop permanent creases. If folding cannot be avoided, they should be refolded in a different way once in awhile.

Jacqi Stevens said...

This quilt puts me in mind of so many questions. I wonder whether all those lively colors have a specific meaning? Or is there any specific person represented? Of course, reading the plaque that you have photographed, I wonder about the "Mrs. Clark" who did all the work--any more information on her life? Her family? Her roots?

What a fantastic heirloom that quilt is. I hope you are able to secure all that is needed for proper preservative measures as it continues to be displayed.

L. D. said...

I haven't dealt with my mom's quilt for quite some time. I did give the boys each another quilt. It would be great to have a museum to donate the oldest ones so that they can be appreciated by others. The quilt is a neat work of art and it does add to the interest of the room.

Red said...

This is an awesome quilt. The museum is most fortunate to have it.

lisa said...

That is just beautiful, and so lucky to be able to have it on loan!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Jacqi! Yes you would wonder all those things..I have not researched Mrs. Clark..I should..:)

Lanny said...

The quilts that I have are to tattered from actually being used, one from my childhood bed and the other from my folk's until they upgraded to a king. I'm just happy to be able to put them in Rubbermaidesque tubs. They have come out a time or two to be looked at for replicating purposes (which hasn't begun yet so they'll come out a few more times I'm sure)and so got refolded I'm so happy to know that is what needed to happen. This was supposed to be the summer of quilting, I've moved my target to 2015. I enjoyed this post, it was inspiring and comforting all at the same time! Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful quilt!

Karen said...

That is certainly a beautiful, unique quilt!