Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hero In A White Hat

Far Guy has a collection, it began very innocently when he was just a boy. A gift of two cap pistols and a holster. When everyone else was singing the praises of Roy Rogers and Dale Evans and The Lone Ranger and Tonto..Far Guy was admiring Gene Autry. The cowboy who could sing, shoot and ride a horse all at the same time.


Piece by piece the collection grew. One Saturday we were at an Auction Sale in North Dakota. I was there for a Gene Autry pIn, it would be a good addition to the collection. It was just a simple pin with green, purple and yellow ribbons..the pin itself is yellow with a likeness of the cowboy and his name. It was a fairly long auction sale, it was getting late and we had been there for about six hours when the pin finally came up for sale. I bid on it, and then I bid again.. Far Guy said "How much are you going to spend on the darn thing?" I replied "Whatever it takes." We went home with one more thing to add to the collection! Some of the items were easy to find, the song books came from Antique Shops, the photographs from flea markets. The puzzle I found at a garage sale. The humdinger of a watch, was a limited release one year..so it was a Christmas gift from none other than me, his adoring wife.


Far Guy built the display case. It now has the coveted spot to the right of the fireplace. When I suggested that spot, Far Guy just looked at me and said "Really? I can have the whole wall?" Well it seems to me if you have a nice collection, you should be able to look at it once in awhile. After all you live in this house too!


The cowboy boot ad that hangs below the collection..really needs to be matted..it will look better. I am going to put it on his Honey Do list! The "honey do" list is growing by the day, it has been an irritant to Far Guy lately, I keep adding, he keeps crossing things off..he hates that list:)

9 comments:

Pamela said...

Impressed that he kept collecting. I'd love to see it. (Take me back to my boots and saddle!)

RURAL said...

What a great collection. I love the collage effect it gives when it is in the case.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Wow - that is some collection! Looks great on the wall - I like the collage effect too.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful collection. I love that you have it where everyone can enjoy looking at it. I will always think of you and Far Guy when I see Gene Autry memorabilia now.

DayPhoto said...

That is really cool! What a neat collection!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/

flydragon said...

The way to tell the good guys from the bad guys was by the color of their hats. Not so easy today!!! We need a lot more guys in white hats so we know who's who:)

Girl Tornado said...

Wow, awesome collection, definitely looks at home on the wood wall. I know what you mean about the honey-do list -- we have one a mile long (in our heads)....

Andrea said...

What a great collection!! Every time I start a honey do list for Jones it mysteriously goes missing... :)

Jeanne Estridge said...

They all hate the list, but without it things never get done. Nice collection!