Saturday, August 19, 2017

Old Fashioned Tiger Lilies

A few of my Tiger Lilies escaped the deer foraging through the wild gardens.  These were a long ago gift from my Uncle Otto.

Deer food

The patch used to be larger, but I am thankful to have just a few.

My Mother had Tiger Lilies growing on the farm in the little flower garden that was planted over the old outhouse hole.  We got a flush toilet in about 1960 and after that the old outhouse area became a flower garden…the flowers grew quite nicely there.

I can also picture Tiger Lilies along side my Maternal Grandparents home.  They really popped against the white house….Grandma had chicken wire around her flower beds…mostly to keep the dogs from laying in her flower beds.

I know they come in all kind of fancy colors nowadays…but I like the old fashioned ones the best!

  Blog Signature

14 comments:

Andrea said...

Yes, the tiger lily color is my favorite too. xoxo

DJan said...

Very pretty, Connie! :-)

L. D. said...

I am hoping my transplanted tiger lily from the old place survives. It seems good for now. I have friends who live in timber area of West Des Moines, and the deer keep everything eaten. A tall wooden fenced area with woven wire fencing would give you a break. Tall!

Tired Teacher said...

It's a beauty.

Red said...

With tiger lilies, I like the native ones that are on undisturbed land

Terry and Linda said...

ME TOO!!! I love tiger lilies!

Rita said...

These were my dad's favorite flowers and he had them planted along the house for many years while we were growing up. I'd see that bright orange display and know I was home. :)

Paula said...

My favorite is the old fashioned tiger lily too. I have a few in my backyard. Not as many as there used to be!

troutbirder said...

Me too. Mine are almost invasive as they show up in new places on the edge of the woods...:)

Dreaming said...

I also like the older varieties. Certainly, the new can be bigger and bolder, but the heirlooms have their own charm. I had some sort of berry lily that looked like a smaller version of a tiger lily. I loved it. I think it was overgrown this year.

Henny Penny said...

That is so pretty! When someone says tiger lily, I think of the red spider lily. I love them both. I should find some online to order.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Well, that one certainly has a fanciful appearance!

Linda W. said...

I love tiger lilies. They grow wild here in Oregon.

Anonymous said...

My 3 and 4 year old grand daughters call them the mustache plant. My plants are third generation. This year has been interesting because the birds have seeded them in various places in our farmyard.