Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Hackensack Minnesota

Hackensack Minnesota is home of Paul Bunyan’s sweetie.  Her name is Lucette and she guards the waterfront.

Paul Bunyans Girlfriend

Hackensack has very little traffic unless all 300 residents are out and about at the same time, except during the Chain Saw Carving Festival when they block off downtown and you cannot find a parking spot anywhere even if it is raining.

Hackensack view of the street

Chain saw carvers come from far and wide to show off their work.

Artists at work

They carve back behind the fence, there are lots of chips flying.

Carvings at Hackensack

Chain saw carvers

I wandered around the back of the exhibit area… the area was roped off so I couldn’t get too close.

I so want this bench.  It would replace my log bench that bleeds pine sap every summer. You have to watch were you sit or grab an old towel to sit upon.  I am an expert at getting pine sap out of pants, a little skin so soft and then when the pitch has dissolved  use some dawn dish soap and very hot water to get out the skin so soft.

I want this bench

The lemonade gal switched to some fancy kinds of coffee, it was a cold rainy day..her lips were as blue as Lucette’s dress.  Many people were bundled up in winter outerwear.

Bears are a big thing up here in the northwoods.Grumpy Bears welcome you 

The chain saw carvers both guys and gals (there was at least one gal) are true artists.  Another lady and I decided that these bears looked too grumpy to be welcome bears…perhaps they are for people who live on the lake and have company to cook for every weekend just because they have a place on the lake:)

Blog Signature

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful carvings.

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, oh my, what a wonderful place and incredible talent at carving, wow!!!!! Blessings Francine.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes while driving around the back roads, we see wood carvings similar to these. It would be fun to see these in person. I know you and FG really enjoyed this - minus the rain and cold. Maybe I'll show this to John and he can carve up a few chunks of wood laying in our back yard!!!!!!

Country Gal said...

Oh Papa would love to be there , Anything to do with wood working he enjoys , That Eagle he would just love . I will show your pics to Papa when he gets home from work . Looks like a fun day . Such talent in one place . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

linda m said...

I agree with you about the bench; I love it. The carvings are really nice - can't believe they are done with a chain saw. Watched a fellow do it once - it takes real talent.

DJan said...

There is a chain saw festival here in the Bellingham area, too. I should go check it out, now that you've shown me how cool they can be! :-)

Rae said...

Those are great. Sure would take a lot of skill to do that.

Leah said...

I heard about this all over the radio - I do need to go sometime (very talented folks!)

Intense Guy said...

Too cool!!

About how much was the bench if you don't mind me asking?

Beth said...

Wonderful! I hope you are able to get the bench!

Far Side of Fifty said...

It did not have a price tag. It was most likely a $300 to $400 bench.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

It amazes me what those chain saw carvers do! Fun to see them work.
I didn't know Paul Bunyan had a sweetie! ;o)

Lanny said...

That is a great bench, pitch free and very sweet. I see you could use it a time out bench for when you're feeling loony. I need those not welcome bears to guard my driveway, those who love me would disregard them and come on in, those who don't wouldn't get it and come on in anyway. So...never mind, I guess I don't need them.

Red said...

I'll bet thi would be interesting for a carver like you. Chainsaw carving amazes me. I've used a chain saw forever and I know how hard it is to control.

L. D. said...

I see carvers at the State Fair and wonder how they do it. The removing of material is so different than the additive process. We have a few more famous guys that have carvings throughout the state. I am not sure I would want to totally shut down my hearing from being around the chain saw noise.

Anonymous said...

My father took up chainsaw carving when he was in his 70s. He got to be a pretty good carver too. He was carving (and working on a job with my husband) the day before he passed away in his sleep at 82. It's still tough to go out to "his work area" out back...

Anonymous said...

I mean my father-in-law.

Muffy's Marks said...

There is some real talent among those carvers. Beautiful work.

Nancy said...

I agree that the bears look grumpy and also that the bench is gorgeous.

Love all the photos - thanks

LindaG said...

That's a wonderful bench. And those are some amazing carvings.

Cynthia said...

I wonder if the grumpy bears would scare the squirrels away from my bird feeders. Nah, they would just use them to reach the feeders more easily . . . . Fun visit to Hackensack!

Dreaming said...

It sounds like fun.... except the cold! You are right, the "Welcome" bear definitely looks ticked off about something!
Thanks for taking us on your trip... from the comfort of my chair!

Terry and Linda said...

A woodcarver's dream!!! I really enjoyed this Connie...Thank you for taking us along!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Rita said...

LOL! True. Having a lake home can facilitate instant friendships and loyal family members. ;)

What an interesting festival! I've always wanted to see how they make one of those chain saw carvings you see around up here.

Grammy Braxton said...

We have chain saw carvers here in Tennessee, especially in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg at the entrance to the Smoky Mountain National Park. They, too, do lots and lots of bears. The bears in your photo reminded me of those here.

Unknown said...

Wonderful carvings. One of my favorite carvings appeared in our area several years ago when we were required to have a 911 address visible on our property. I passed a house out in the country who had carved sort of a totem pole with a Viking's head on top and the house number carved on the bottom.