Monday, August 20, 2012

Pileated Woodpecker

There was quite a ruckus out on the lawn yesterday.  One of those huge Pileated Woodpeckers flew through announcing he was hungry.

Chance barked and ran at him.

Far Guy told Chance to sit and be quiet.

IMG_0344

That gave me enough time to get the camera ready and try for some photos.  I have attempted to catch this fellow before ..he has always been too skittish.

pileated Woodpecker

He tolerated me for a short time..he likes suet.  He flew off when I got too close for his comfort and Chance was happy that he left the yard.

We have a suet feeder hanging in the tree and we have another one out in the open.  Most all of the woodpeckers like the one near the tree.  We had it in another tree further from the house but the crows kept knocking it out of the tree and quickly devoured the suet…leaving nothing for the woodpeckers.  Chance was on crow patrol for a long time this summer.  He did a real good job of chasing them out of the yard.

pileated Woodpecker

This is a male Pileated Woodpecker.  See his red moustache..that is a sure sign of a male. He also has an all red head.  Females do not have the red moustache and they usually have a patch of black feathers that accentuate the red on their foreheads:)

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Muffy's Marks said...

We had a Pileated here this spring, I haven't seen or heard him all summer. If Chance needs a crow chasing vacation, send him my way. They are the most annoying bird!!! Great shots of those skittish birds.

troutbirder said...

Lucky you! We rarely see these fascinating birds in our yard or little woods. It's probably too busy with a very large GSD chasing squirrels about all the time. The Pileateds are quite common in Forestville State Park which is nearby though... :)

DJan said...

I've seen a Pileated Woodpecker several times in the woods, but never on my suet feeder. I get plenty of downy woodpeckers and Northern flickers, though! Great shot!

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos ! Some of the birds here that migrate are eating like crazy now getting ready for their big trip whilst other have already arrived for the cooler weather ! I put the suet out in the winter for them here as they need it more in the really cold temps ! Have a wonderful day !

linda m said...

My suet feeder only has Downy Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, and Chickadees at it. I have seen a Pileated Woodpecker in the yard once last year. Very good picture of him

RURAL said...

Connie, great shots of that woodpecker. I remember the first time we saw one here, I was so excited I could barely get the camera. And there is no way I can get a good shot of one. They are skittish, and only here for a moment, and then like a flash gone.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Terry and Linda said...

We have so many crows and ravens here now, that the magpies have left. I rather like the magpies and I think they are beautiful.

Do you make your own suet feeders?


Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
http://deltacountyhistoricalsociety.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, such great shots! Even the red moustache!

Connie Peterson said...

Wow! I've only seen one of those in my lifetime! I am sure we have some around here - I hear them, but they never come to the suet. Lucky you ... and great pictures!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Great capture, Connie. I didn't know about the mustache. I once saw one of these at my friends' cabin, was surprised at their size.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

'Flyin' under the radar here but oh my gosh...what a wonderful find!!! I've always wanted to spy one in person but have never had the opportunity. 'Hope you were thrilled enough for the both of us.

God bless and I pray your enjoyin' your summer! I'll be back when it begins to slow down to some sense of 'normal' 'round here. :o)

lisa said...

That is just awesome!

Jeannelle said...

Cool! Whenever I see this bird in the bird book I think it would great to see one, but I never have.

Judy said...

Just beautiful and congratulations on getting a few photos...

L. D. said...

I remember how excited our Minnesota friend, Margaret, became when she was able to see one of these. I have never seen one in real life but I heard about her every sighting. You were so fortunate to get the great shots.

Pamela said...

when they knock on wood it sounds like a base drum... ha ha

Rita said...

What a handsome fellow! Good job, Chance, keeping the crows away. (Although, I do love crows...a lot!)

Sam I Am...... said...

Is pileated the same as a red-headed woodpecker? Is red-headed just the common name? Thanks for the lesson on them...I love learning all I can about nature. We have great birds here but I can never see them! I even have binoculars but I can't find them in all the trees. Maybe I'm not patient enough but they have some beautiful songs they sing down here and even at night there are whipporwills. I remember them from my childhood so we had them up North. Nowadays with AC on all the time no one hears them at night.