Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wistful Wednesday: 4-H

I was a farm kid, so of course I was in 4-H.  I had a steer one year.  I halter trained him and practiced leading him around I even practiced washing him but we didn’t make it to the fair.  If you took animals to the fair, you were expected to stay there and take care of them.  Fair time was always a busy time on the farm.  We could spend some time at the Fair but not all day long. After that disappointment I had different projects..baking and photography…things that could be left at night by themselves.

We had a county wide winter program called Share the Fun.  All of the 4-H Clubs came up with some sort of entertainment to “Share the Fun”  One year I was it..I twirled my baton.  What fun..if you were half way decent you might get asked to the County Fair and I was.

My Mother took a photo of me twirling..even though it looks like I am about ready to jump into the air, I can assure you I kept my feet on the ground.

Share the fun 1964

The photo is marked Frazee 1964.  I was thirteen years old that year.  I was a member of the “Thrifty-Thirty Niners”  4 H Club.  We were a brand new club that was organized because another club on the prairie that was so popular as a club that it got too large.  I loved being part of the prairie group..even though I cannot remember their name... Prairie Partners??  Prairie something..I think.

One year we had a skit for  share the fun. We all had parts.  I played the part of a rotund old man dressed in red long johns complete with a beard and a pillow stuffed belly.  I had a couple of lines..I don’t remember them either but I had to come on stage and scratch my big old belly and say my lines…apparently they were funny lines because everyone laughed. Then I walked off stage scratching my butt.  And the crowd roared.

Back to the twirling.  My Mother made me a real cute white corduroy short skirt that was lined in red satin, it twirled too. ( I must have had some kind of red satin shorts or fancy panties under that short skirt.)   I wore a red blouse and red knee socks and white tennies.  Fetching I am sure.

That is the extent of my stage appearances.  A twirler and a old fat itchy man:)

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'm sure you deserved an Oscar for your perfomance. Now the question is: are you glad or sad that this performance wasn't "videoed" like it would be today, and put on YouTube for the world to see?

LindaG said...

Lol.
Still, good memories, I think. :o)

Have a great day!

DJan said...

And now you are again giving presentations for the Museum. A bit more staid, but still a performance. That is a great memory, Connie. I wish the picture were more clear so I could see you better, but this is WAY better than nothing... :-)

Dreaming said...

It sounds like 4-H was an important part of your growing up. I did Pony Club and our winter meetings were very similar to 4-H meetings I've attended. I learned a lot... and taught some, too.
My neighbor in SC was a twirler and taught twirling. She even went on a cruise with a bunch of twirlers. They discovered that twirling on a moving ship wasn't always easy!

thecrazysheeplady said...

Share the Fun! I would never have remembered that on my own. I loved 4-H. I don't think it's the same now. I feel sorry for kids now. We had great classes in school they don't get anymore and things like 4-H where we slept at the fairgrounds all week... I love your blog!

MTWaggin said...

Ahh batons you don't see them much anymore! Don't most girls (at least back then) want twirly skirts? You amaze me all the things you remember details of. Too fun.

Nancy said...

I was in 4-H for at least 12 or 14 years (I can't remember exactly how long). I didn't have animal projects, either, for many of the same reasons. I took projects like sewing, baking, canning, and home improvement. My club was named "Make It and Bake It."

Anonymous said...

You have me giggling to myself this a.m., Connie. Love you Wistful Wed. posts.

Anonymous said...

They just had Share the Fun last week. DJan said it all. Just what I was thinking. My son would say 4-H is what taught him how to sell himself and his abilities to employers. He did the animals, cooking & canning, sewing, Shooting fishing & much more. Was in an act that took him and many other to DC. Ann

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

How cute you are up there lookin' like your 'bout to dive right in!!! You make me laugh girl....twirler and a big fat man....Heeehehehhee!!!

I bet you were great!

I too was in 4-H and I won't even go in to what else (everything) 'cause ya know how spastic I am!

God bless and have a most blissful day sweetie!!! :o)

Patsy said...

Love it! Also your new header.

Country Gal said...

Cute post and photo ! Love your new header ! I was with a pony club with my pony when I was a kid on our hobby farm ! We would go to country fairs and show our ponies , ride them in the parades or compete in different events ! I had a lot farmer friends in the 4H clubs and always either helped them or just watch and support them in their showing of their animals , some had cows , pigs, sheep even chickens you name it , there was all kinds of farm animal clubs when I was a kid ! Those were the days ! Have a good day !

Gail said...

What a wonderful memory.

I didn't do 4-H but did enter items in the fair every year, but also, like you, I did no animals. We always plenty of canning, crafting, fresh food and art entries. Earned my Christmas money by winning ribbons at the fair.

Red said...

4 H clubs played a very important role in training young people in a variety of areas. I was in the 4 H club in the beef club.

LadyFi said...

LOL - sounds like a great childhood. The anklebiters were in 4H for a long time... it really is a lovely idea!

troutbirder said...

Fond memories indeed! Living on the mean streets of Metropolis we didn't have 4H. I did, however, flirt with the juvenile delinquency club... :)

Sam I Am...... said...

I always wanted to be in 4-H but we lived in the city so there was Girl Scouts but there was a long list and they never called....story of my life! LOL! Now, I work on Badges for the Farmgirl Sisterhood which is from Mary Jane Butter's farm via her chat room on her website. It's like 4-H for grownups! I love it although at my age I've already done a lot of it but it's still fun.
And baton twirling! Good for you! Do they even have that anymore? My older cousin was one and I thought that was like being a movie star! She actually got me my own baton and I would practice and practice (outside)....I can't tell you how many times I got hit in the head with that thing! LOL! Ahhh, the memories...and the concussions!