Saturday, March 17, 2012

March 17 2012

The yard is brown.  Even though the temperatures are warm..almost 70 degrees yesterday, it feels like spring but it does not look like spring yet. 
IMG_0190
You can see the snow stick on the right.   Far Guy has been waging war with the acorns.  There was such a good crop that you could be propelled across the lawn on them.  He had the old mower out and tried to chop them up..you cannot blame a guy for trying.
Ugly bug warning!
IMG_0188
These bugs are hitting the windows at night..this one was out during the day.  I call them June Bugs..I did not take Entomology.  Anyways these bugs did not get the memo that it is March and technically still winter. They usually hit the windows in May not in March.
Our hundreds of Red Polls that were here and eating thistle seed like it was their last supper left with the warm weather.  There were about six hanging around the feeders yesterday along with our normal Woodpeckers, Nuthatches and Chickadees.
We went down to the Dead Beaver Area on the river yesterday to see how it was melting.
IMG_0210
IMG_0201

We are having great date nights this week. Tonight is the third night in a row for a “date.”  Hockey is pretty good  lately..The Fighting Sioux pulled out a win last night..they played the Minnesota Gophers.  We are Sioux fans..turncoats, I know. Tonight they play again..Denver.  I usually watch from one couch and Far Guy from the other, I sometimes doze off between goals,  Far Guy does a play by play commentary so I can keep my eyes closed and still keep up with the game…sometimes I find his voice so soothing I wake myself up snoring:)
Blog Signature

18 comments:

Karen said...

Wow, you guys have had a weird winter. I wouldn't mind a bit of that warmth. Your grass should be sprouting in no time.

LadyFi said...

Oh, it looks so lovely and sunny. It's greenish-brown here, but the lake is still frozen over.

Muffie said...

I think this crazy weather is everywhere -- we're feeling it here in NJ also. My husband and children are hockey fans [NHL -- Philadelphia Flyers,] me, not so much. So my guy watches the games upstairs, then comes down to see what I'm doing and give me the scores.
Peace,
Muff

rkbsnana said...

Love the header - as always love the changes you make. The napping through the commentary reminded me of taking lunch breaks at Grandma's and how she would tell stories while a napped a little before going back to work (jogged another memory for me...thank you very much). Her voice was so soothing and while I know I did doze off, felt like I did not miss a word. Isn't it great to have a companion beside you while you nap?

rkbsnana said...

Ooops, I know my comment was lengthy but wanted to say we call them June bugs here in Arkansas as well.

Red said...

I hate to rain on your party. You may have beautiful weather now but thee's lot of time for it to change and I don't mean warmer.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

The weather is just astonishing. The June bugs not so much.

Rita said...

Isn't this bizarre weather!?? 70s and 80s in mid-March?!! We could still have snow again, too. It really makes you wonder what kind of summer awaits us?

Snoring through any sports sounds good to me--LOL! ;) Have a great weekend!

Lynda said...

Do you think you will have any more snow this year? What is the latest time in spring you have had snow that stuck for a day or two? Chance is such a good model and looks handsome in any season.

Ellen said...

Yes, weird weather, certainly. It's starting to get cold with a winter storm coming tonight, here in sunny Arizona, crazy. I just had to comment because I love to fall asleep to Hubby's voice. Sometimes when I can't sleep I ask him to just talk to me and it works wonders. So soothing. Also wanted to say I love your header, anything with Chance in it is perfect.

Sam I Am...... said...

I know this weather is crazy...but I'm getting a great start on summer! Who are the Siouxs? Where are they from? I don't think it's technically a date if you're not on the same couch! LOL! Love your pictures...brown or not nature is beautiful..subdivisions not so much. I know about the acorns too! I mowed the other day as it was a minefield out there between a winter's worth of the dogs doodoo and the acorns. Now I can get to my clothesline...safely and cleanly!

Jennifer said...

Go sioux

Tracy said...

Spring is coming...I assure you! I went to BGSU so my falcons were eliminated :( Good luck to your team.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sam, The Fighting Sioux are from Grand Forks North Dakota..The University of North Dakota:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Lynda, We have had snow the middle of May..so I am not holding my breath yet:)

Shirley said...

We're in mud zone now- but my lawn is growing like crazy. As soon as it dries enough we'll have to fire up the lawn mower.

Lanny said...

Brown, such a lovely color. Mine is in the form of mud right now. If the mud is left undisturbed for a day or two it quickly grows a lovely green fuzz. I love listening to Dirt's voice with my eyes closed and my brain dozing, I like your dates.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I do believe that Mother Nature is bi~polar this winter! Heeehehehee!

I can't believe you have bare ground!

God bless ya sweetie!!! :o)