Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: 1964

Forty-seven years ago.  We stopped along the highway on what was more than likely a Sunday afternoon on our way to Grandma and Grandpa Drewes house. My Dad must have taken the photo, most likely it was taken in early January of 1964. 

Winter 1964 copy

My baby brother (just about 10), me (on my way to age 13), my other baby brother (not yet 4)  and our Mother (not yet 35).

Many of these old photos have faded over the years. After I scan them I take them into my Photoshop Elements program and enhance the color, and I fix any bad spots.

during the winter of 1964

I wonder if it was cold that day?  My baby brother is the only one that looks cold..he has hunched up shoulders..the rest of us look warm..and my coat is unbuttoned.  Obviously we didn’t have very much snow that year because I can still see weeds in the ditch.

This area still looks the same..the trees are much taller. Nowadays there is way too much traffic to stop and take a photograph along this road, I know..I have tried.  You have to find an approach or drive-way and pull off of the road and walk back. It is a “Scenic Byway”..but one of those that you have to  enjoy out the window..because they didn’t allocate any funds for turn outs or spots to stop and take photos:(  

Blog Signature

13 comments:

Karen said...

I chuckled at the photo:) You all look like you are less than impressed with the photo taking. I don't think it was very cold, your mum doesn't have gloves on. And you look like your mum:)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Isn't it always interesting to look back at our Mom and at what ages they were then. We thought they were old and out of it... and now we see how young they really were. I have to remind my own daughters of that periodically.

I love these moments. Thanks for sharing your story.

West Side of Straight said...

Isn't that true what Kathy said! Always thought my mother was old! Isn't that great what Photoshop can do! I need to do that to a lot of pictures before I give the box of pics back to sister. Just too lazy to get started, as I know it'll take some time to scan, etc. etc.

LindaG said...

Great that it's still there, though. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

Good job on the edit and yeah, ya do look like you'd rather be anywhere else than in front of a camera!

God bless ya and enjoy this day! :o)

Darlene said...

I wonder whose idea it was to stop and take a picture. It probably seemed crazy at the time, but now I know you're happy to have stopped. Nice picture.

troutbirder said...

I just love these old photos. I have one my mom made for me. Its full of pictures of me till about ten. Then two brothers came along and she must have been too busy.
I'm trying to picture Straight Lake since I'm fisherman enough to believe I know andhave fished many of the 10,000. Only Straight River come to mind near Park Rapids. Yes I've trout fished in that one.
My oldest sons best buddy is a volunteer fireman in our little town. I can still still the picture of him, tied to a rope held by his fellow volunteers, holding a small girl in his arms. She had been swept away in flood waters and was clinging to a small tree in the middle of the stream, when he grabbed her.

Intense Guy said...

You did a really nice job bring the colors in that photo "back to life."

Rae said...

You did a nice job on the photo touchup. I have a lot of old ones I need to work on. It is time consuming scanning them and doing the repair.

Horses Are Our Lives said...

that'a a great job of redoing the pic. I need to do that to some of my parents photos also.

Lynda said...

I am impressed at the new quality of the photo! You are talented with your computer.

Lanny said...

You know, there is just something about the words, "scenic byway" that thrills the heart, makes me wanna turn on some music and go for a long drive. With a colored chiffon scarf waving out the window of course.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you've done a really good job of cleaning up the photo. It looks lovely!