Saturday, April 15, 2017

Zaps

It was a long week. 

I had some fancy smancy Nerve Tests done and there is news.

First I am ageing…who knew… better alert the press…since I am old I have a foot that goes to sleep, just the inner half of my foot and leg which sometimes makes it difficult to walk normally.  I would never be able to do a walk the line test…which the Fancy Smancy Nerve Doctor found out. (It is the foot/leg I injured back in 1980 that they could not fix and they said you will walk ten years but no more…well they were wrong…but maybe since it has been 37 years my time might be up. I may write about that whole fiasco someday. ) I could have more tests done but the result would be that I am aging and I have a bum leg and must be careful how and where I walk. Since I am older I have some spinal stenosis which makes the whole leg problem worse. 

I have carpel tunnel in my right arm and will be fitted for a brace and I get to go to Occupational Therapy.   I think I must have good insurance. If the brace and therapy don’t help I get to see the hand surgeon.  Luckily it is the same surgeon who did my thumb that went in and out of its joint a few years ago. He is an older French Doctor and knows what he is doing and probably went to a real medical school.

They said the nerve tests were painful, just like electric fence zaps, I found them milder than an electric fence…not much milder but tolerable.  The most painful part was when he did the acupuncture needles into the muscles and then did the zaps.  By that time…it was a long session 75 minutes and I had lost all of my sense of humor and asked him if he was almost done because I had reached my pain threshold for the day.  He said three more minutes…well I made it.  He turned around and sat at the desk to put his notes in the computer and I just sat on the exam table, he finally said “you can come and sit in the chair next to me.”  I replied “Are you afraid that I am behind you?”  He didn’t answer so he must have been just a little uneasy.  He said I tolerated it well, so apparently I am not a screamer or swearer…he said many women compare it with childbirth…I wouldn’t. ( I may have said crap a few times or maybe even oh shit!)

He did a good job of explaining all my options of other fancy smancy tests that would just show how old I am.  My nerves are not dysfunctional …just old.

I was real tired after that Doctors visit, Far Guy and Chance came along for the long drive and waited for me in the Parking Lot because it was too warm to leave Chance in the vehicle by himself.  They brought me home and I had a long nap but I am still tired.  I still have some aching especially in my arm.

We will have a quiet weekend at home.

I put out a few glass ornaments.  Something to brighten up the woods.
Glass flowers
Blog Signature

20 comments:

Cynthia said...

That sounds like a pretty unpleasant experience, especially since it lasted 75 minutes. Probably felt like an eternity. I hope you can relax now and rest up and enjoy spring and the Easter weekend. Your glass ornaments are such a pretty spot of color against the woods.

Marty said...

Brace lady. I think I'd have lasted about7 minutes, being the colossal wuss that I am.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Yeesh :-(

DJan said...

That is a long time to be zapped. I have nerve damage from my pelvic fracture in 2000, and it's beginning to hinder me, so I know why it's happening because of your doctor visit: it's because I'm aging. Glad that is behind you. :-(

Mac n' Janet said...

Well pooh, I've often said that getting older is not for sissies, it's hard, painful work.

Shirley said...

You are pretty stoic! I hope Chance gave you some good snuggle time to make you feel better.

Karen said...

That would have been a very long 75 minutes. Good for you for hanging in there. I think the worst pain I can remember was getting steroid shots on a skin graft next to my eye (skin cancer removal). I had tears streaming down my face, and almost passed out. When I went for the next set I asked the doctor if I could get a local anesthetic first, which he did, and voila, the steroid shots were a piece of cake.

Paula said...

WOW! You have much more stamina than I would have had! And it just sucks to get old, doesn't it?

Rita said...

I had a nerve testing done on my bum arm when I injured it back in the early 90s and I didn't think the zapping was as bad as people made it out to be, either. But it was exhausting...and mine only lasted less than half an hour You had both the arm and the leg done--whew! I didn't have nerve damage--it was shredded muscle.

This getting older really does suck. I just had bad news at the eye doctor. Should write a blog and let people know. *sigh* I guess we should just be glad we have lived long enough to be old. ;)

L. D. said...

My hands and fingers are flaring up again. I sort of made it through an inflation thing one i stopped being a summer janitor. This move really has taken its toll on both of us. We rest a lot and we just can't get back the strength that we had. I am hopping some of those things will wear off for you and the guy doesn't stick you anymore. My new mower requires me to wear padded gloves as the left hand just vibrates after I got done to day. I switching back to ibprphen again to see if I can see some changes. The numbness stuff is not fun. I hope they can get some results for you with that.

marlu said...

Sounds like a no fun appointment. Good for you for hanging in there!

Bonnie said...

I hope you are getting rested and starting to feel better. I've had that test a couple of times and it is no fun. I had carpel tunnel surgery on one wrist and it helped at first but came back after about ten years. I now have carpel tunnel in both wrists and I am hesitant to have the surgery again.

I love those glass flowers you have - sooo pretty!

Sam I Am...... said...

OMG! If they told me it was like childbirth I would be steering clear! They only tell you that after the fact! I'm so sorry about the bum foot, leg and nerves! I would get one of those fancy hand carved walking sticks or better yet...carve one yourself! I would paint it bright colors and get yourself some really comfy high top shoes or hiking boots and you'll look like an adventurer! Plus, it will be a handy weapon in case you need it! Maybe I should commission you to make one for me....near as I can tell it is pretty much down hill from here! Happy Easter Eve!

Granny Marigold said...

Well, that certainly doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I'll bet you're glad that's done with. Have a nice restful weekend.

Linda said...

I hate it when the results just say well You are OLD! DUH! I hope they can help you...ease the problem, anyway.

Red said...

I'm not a Doc but I'm sure your injury 37 years ago has nothing to do with the present problems. Make sure that you get to physiotherapy. I've had problems and physio fies them for a couple of years.

Linda Reeder said...

It's good to know what can be fixed and what can't. Carpel tunnel surgery worked well for my right hand - no more tingling and numbness- but I still can't make a fist, because of my arthritis. Aging sucks, but the alternative isn't so good either.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain so well! I have a hard time just walking anymore and have to sit and rest after only doing a few things. Arthritis,sleep apnea, Fibromyalgia, nerve pain etc. Crap, It isn't easy is it? It stinks! Hope you feel better. Guess I didn't use spell check. Sharon

Pauline Persing said...

75 minutes sounds awful. I hate it when doctors tell me after the fact that there will be pain. Isn't that lying by omission? Tom and I get that "part of aging" diagnosis, too. Hope these doctors remember all the patients they have told this to when they get to "part of aging" diagnosis. Maybe doctors should be required to be "old" before they are licensed to practice on us.

Lady Fi said...

Ouch - you must have a high level of tolerance! Glad to hear that an arm brace might help you!