Friday, March 23, 2012

Summer in March

We have had an early week of summer.  In fact it has been warmer this week than it is sometimes during the summer.  I went to town without a coat.  I put away my good snow boots, and resurrected my crocs..I will wear them with socks if it gets cold again. My down parka is still hanging at the ready..I might need it yet this spring. No one has dared to carry the snow shovel away yet.

I have not seen a Robin in our yard yet..Far Guy saw one..but by the time I made it outside with the camera it flew off..most likely to “She who see Robins first” house.  Everyone in the entire neighborhood will see one before me.   The Juncos are here now resting and eating before they head north. I am waiting for the Goldfinches to come and the Grosbeaks.  Our usual Chickadees, Nuthatches and Woodpeckers frequent the feeders.  We brought in the peanut butter feeder..it was all melty and might attract a bear. All the bird feeders may have to go in the garage at night very soon.  Bears usually don’t wake up until late April or early May, but with this warm weather they may be waking up hungry soon.

The Swans and the Geese are flying overhead.  The June bugs are still hitting the windows at night.  I heard spring peepers the other day when were near a swamp.  Skunks are out and a few have met a happy demise on the highway.

A few farmers can be seen working out in the fields.

Someone must be spreading a little hay for Joes horses.  We went up and watched the horses one afternoon..Chance likes to watch them too:)Joes Horses

Blog Signature

19 comments:

Gail said...

We have set all kinds of records for spring temps...hope that doesn't go into the summer.

DJan said...

I don't know why it can't be spread a little more reasonably around the nation. We just barely made it to 50 degrees in the middle of the day. I wonder what this means for actual summer temperatures.

linda m said...

We have had temps in the 80's here this week - setting all kinds of records. Flowers are blooming, trees budding, wasps and hornets arrived. And the worst part was I had to turn on the AC. :( Sure hope this isn't an indication of what summer will be like here is Southeastern WI. I am enjoying the warmer weather but don't like the fact about the AC.

Anonymous said...

It's unseasonably warm in Scotland too. It was 22 (71F) degrees on Wednesday but -2 (28F) by 7am Thursday. Nice to hear about all your creatures, but I'm pleased we don't have bears and skunks :-)

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

I'm not sure the bears truly hibernated 'round here this year. Most of the songbirds say here year round but go deep into the woods 'till spring.

I let my fire in the fireplace go out over a week ago. I've never ever done that in March! I haven't forgotten the fact that winter can still get up though.

Have a blessed weekend sweetie!!! :o)

Dreaming said...

Here, too! We have seen Mr. Robin Redbreast... scouting out nest locations, I guess. He's been here for about 2 weeks.
Yup.... pulled my barn crocs out of the corner and I'm using those... happily! No more tugging on my barn boots.
I can't believe you have June bugs!

Country Gal said...

My mum and I used to do the who see's or hears the Robin first and I always mark it on my bird calendar that Papa printed and made for me with my own bird photos. I still do it just for mum , I know she is watching and can hear her fav bird as well may she R.I.P ! Our weather has been the same only we have lots of Robins this year more then last year which is fine by me cause they are my fav bird . I love their chatter and song ! Our Spring flowers are open , trees and bushes have flourished as well , I am loving it ! I have had my windows open for a week day and night and the Peepers have been singing at night now ! Yup Papa saw a June bug yesterday evening and I earlier in the day saw a bumble bee and two small butterfly's ! I think we have by passed Spring and headed straight into summer ! Have a great day !

Ellen said...

Well spring has certainly sprung in most parts of the country. I hear the little birds singing outside each morning. It never really gets very cold here where I live in AZ, but I can certainly see and hear the signs of spring around here.

Rita said...

So very strange, isn't it? Wonder if you'll still need that snow shovel one more time before summer? Very, very strange. Enjoy it. Who knows what summer will bring us, eh? ;)

Anonymous said...

Love the horses picture. It has been so very mild almost everywhere. I sure wonder what summer will be like!

LindaG said...

So many places setting records.
Waiting to see what happens this summer. No hurry, either!
Have a great day. :o)

Jeanne Estridge said...

There, too? I don't like it. Everything that supposed to bloom in May has burst out--not what will there be for May?

Rae said...

Such unusual weather. I never even wore my winter coat this winter. Got all my warm gear out last week. My lilacs have bloomed and hubby is mowing the lawn already. Hope it doesn't change and kill my budding flowers.

troutbirder said...

The robins are all about here and chirping. I'll send some your way!
As to the Historical Society here, well I made excuses for years mostly cause I didn't want to deal with the office politics....

Terry and Linda said...

This is the first day of real warm weather. I have all the windows open in the house and it is almost 7 at night. Wonder if North America is going to have a really HOT summer!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Andrea said...

We've had the same warm weather up here in Ontario, Connie! It's been wonderful...Sophie can't get enough of these spring walks! :)

Red said...

Amazing how early spring is in the east this year. We are on regular time here. Yesterday we had snow and it was cool minus 2C (28 F) for a high.

carolina nana said...

It is summer like weather down here in NC also this March. I'm wondering what we will have in July and August ????
Blessings

Sam I Am...... said...

I didn't know you had bears there. Do they ever bother those horses or anything else? Do you have to be careful when you're outside? We have some down here but rarely see them and I always have the dogs with me...they're my early warning system. I worry about humans than I do animals.