I bet that no one took a lunch pail...
I bet no one sat in old wooden desks in a one room schoolhouse.
I bet they didn't play any of these games...
I bet none of the teachers followed these rules from 1915.
1. You will not marry during the term of your contract.
2. You are not to keep company with men.
3. You must be home between the hours of 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. unless attending a school function.
4. You may not loiter downtown in ice cream stores.
5. You may not travel beyond city limits unless you have the permission of the chairman of the board.
6. You may not ride in a carriage or automobile with any man unless he is your father or brother.
7. You may not smoke cigarettes.
8. You may not dress in bright colors.
9. You may under no circumstances dye your hair.
10. You must wear at least two petticoats.
11. Your dresses must not be any shorter than two inches above the ankle.
12. To keep the school room neat and clean, you must:
sweep the floor at least once daily
scrub the floor at least once a week with hot, soapy water
clean the blackboards at least once a day
start the fire at 7 a.m. so the room will be warm by 8 a.m.
I enjoyed my visit back to this one room schoolhouse, even though I never attended an old country schoolhouse and never walked two miles uphill both ways to get to school. They built a new school in our nearby town, so I never got to go to the old country school that was very near our farm. I was close enough to walk that quarter mile..but instead the old country school was closed and I had to ride the bus to school when I went to first grade:)