Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sven, Kristian and Thea Carvings

I had a few carvings hanging around for the past FOUR years.  They have been in and out of my carving bag…shoved here and there.  I decided that they need to be finished.

Carvings to paint

Thea, Sven, Kristian and a fish.

This week I concentrated on getting them ready to paint.

Sven Kristian and Thea and a fish

It took part of the afternoon yesterday to paint them whilst watching a few episodes of Once Upon A Time.

I will take them to our carving get together this week to show them off and then find a spot for them…someplace. 

I took a class on how to carve the tallest guy…his name was supposed to be Walter but Far Guy and I decided that he looked more like a Sven.

Beginning 2012 (2)

2012 beginning to take shape.

I bought a book on how to carve Thea and Kristian.

Little Folk

The fish was a practice piece a long time ago…learning knife skills…it will probably become a Christmas Ornament.

Presently I am working on a Santa that I started about 8 years ago.  I am not sure it will be anything…but getting out old projects shows me just how far my carving skills have progressed over the years.

Blog Signature

25 comments:

Tom said...

What a gift to be able to do this!

Cynthia said...

Perfect names, and I love these. They have such character. I have similar ones all over my house because they are is what my dad used to carve most. He used beach wood so some had so much wood beauty he didn't even paint them.

Georgina said...

What made you decide to try wood carving I wonder? It's such an interesting hobby and you obviously get a whole lot of satisfaction from your improving skills. Is it a family thing? Or a Minnesota thing? I tell you what, it's not a North London thing! I don't know anyone who does wood carving. Which is kind of a shame. Seems as though it is a bit of a lost art in this part of the world.

Cathie said...

All I can say is "WOW". These look fantastic.

Anonymous said...

They are gorgeous. And love the colours.

Tired Teacher said...

Great job. It is satisfying to finish old projects - amazing how the paint brings them to life.

Anonymous said...

These are great, Connie. A couple of Christmas' ago, we visited Larry's daughter in Atlanta and she took us to a wood carving store within walking distance of her home. It was fascinating.

Terry and Linda said...

You are so talented!

Linda

Anonymous said...

He does look like a Sven! Your carvings are fun to see.

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, I think those are wonderful!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Many people in Minnesota are woodcarvers. My Uncle taught me to carve. I carve with a group of 10 -20 people every week. For our rural area I think that is great! :)

Patsy said...

I just read a story(Stargazey point By Shelley Noble,In the story a man name
Beau that did figures ,tiny ones, big ones and whole towns of people.
Yours are just a treasure trove also.

Funny you and Far Guy were in my dream last night!!
Saw you and him and you said you were here visiting his mother.

Lynda said...

You are so creative and artistic. I cannot draw - - - even when elementary instructions are given. I admire that ability/talent in you and appreciate you sharing the pictures with us.

Red said...

Funny how things are left and then rediscovered. They look great .

thecrazysheeplady said...

Fabulous!

Intense Guy said...

Marvelous!! You have awesome talent!

Rita said...

SO cute! Must feel wonderful to get some old projects finished, too. :)

Karen said...

Oh I love your little people!

L. D. said...

They are all such great carvings. I like the paint that is used on them to make them look so well finished. Sven is a good name.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful little characters you have created!

Lady Fi said...

I like Sven!

Paula said...

You are very talented. These are very special and will bring memories for many years to come!

marlu said...

What a talent! My granddad taught me how to whittle but that's as far as I got. You are so creative. I have my Santa hanging in front of my computer that you sent to me several years ago! (It's a seed pot, I think.)

Jacqi Stevens said...

That little touch of paint sure brought those little guys (and gal) to life! They look great--even if they are projects from years ago.

Sam I Am...... said...

They're beautiful! You are REALLY good at that. It amazes me the talent that people have especially you and Far Guy with your carvings.