Thursday, July 28, 2016

Candy Shop and Cryosurgery

Our youngest Grandson Adam went home with his Mother.  We offered to let him stay longer but he said “No thanks I will go home with Mom.”  Before he left he helped me clean the upstairs bathroom and he stripped his bed.

We went to the Cuzzins Candy Store in town.
Adam ain the candy store
Here he is filling his bag with Jawbreakers.  He also bought some chocolate covered gummy bears…who knew?
Inside the candy store
He bought his Grandpa some Malted Milk Balls.  He offered to pay for my Jelly Beans but I said “No, save your money.”
IMG_2065
Cuzzins is only open for the summer.  It was started by a family that wanted to have a place for their kids to work during the summer and a business that would defray the cost of their college educations.  It is a very popular tourist spot.

I saw the Dermatologist (she looks young enough to be our granddaughter) she looked me over with her light and pointed out some problem areas.  I have many keratoses…she explained that we are all pre determined to have so many and as we age they reveal themselves.  She checked out my moles and my birthmark.  I have a troublesome skin tag that is quite large and one very stubborn keratoses that I have had frozen many times before.  They use liquid nitrogen (Cryosurgery), it isn’t excruciating…it does hurt some but I didn’t cry or anything.  I have one small spot on my face that she said to watch…it looks like a blackhead but it isn’t one…it is just a tiny black spot.  So I had about five spots frozen several times each.  They will blister and eventually fall off.  I am not supposed to pick at them…easier said than done. I have some psoriasis in my scalp and she prescribed a steroid cream for that.  I was glad to have it all done in one day and no repeat visit is needed for a year.  See I told you it was just old lady stuff.
Blog Signature

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute photo of Adam at the candy shop! Great reason to start the business, too. Glad to hear you are ok after your cryosurgery.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information about keratoses. I never knew we are predetermined to have a few. News to me! I have had a few frozen off my face and as you say - it isn't painful - but stings a little for a few minutes. My dermatologist says these are from the sun - which I was exposed to a lot while mowing a large lawn for more than 30 years. Those were the days when non one talked about using sun
protection and I never wore a hat. Tsk tsk!

Shirley H.

linda m said...

I love the look on Adams face. That is a priceless one for sure. It seems the older I get the more "things" that pop up. I let most of it go with saying it's just old age creeping up on me. Glad everything went well at the dermatologist's office.

DJan said...

Glad you're all blistered up. Happens to me every time I see the dermatologist. He walks into the room with that liquid nitrogen thing in his hands. :-)

Tired Teacher said...

I went to Cuzzins several years ago. It was a fun place to see and purchase candies I didn't think were made anymore. Yummy

I've had a few keratosis removed too. It definitely is HARD to resist picking at them.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - that is some candy store.

Terry and Linda said...

It was fun seeing Adam in the candy shop. I'm glad you are getting your skin looked after...I fight a daily problem with my skin, now that I'm old.

Linda

Karen said...

Wow, that is quite the candy store! I had a patch of skin cancer surgically removed when I was in my twenties. I thought those keratoses were a pre-cancerous thing, but maybe not when I asked Dr. Google. Then I clicked on 'images', oh boy;-( I have seen a few tiny white ones, but nothing needing removing yet. Glad your visit went well!

MTWaggin said...

Oh how I love those candy stores (and so does my waist - NOT). The salt water taffy would have been where I headed! We have a few around here in some of the small towns. Glad you got the skin stuff taken care of and that you kept your big girl panties on and didn't cry! LOL Seriously a few tears with pain isn't a bad thing.

Rita said...

I had to google keratoses because I had never heard of them. Glad you got things all taken care of. My dad had little spots of skin cancer removed in the doctor's office so many times he said he lost count. He had been in the south pacific in the navy when he was young and they all ran around without shirts on when they were up on deck and had tans so dark they were almost black, Dad said. He was in for four years. Back then nobody knew about the sun causing skin cancer--and all of his was from the waist up where he had tanned. They made them wear their long pants but let them go without shirts. Glad you're A-okay for another year. :)

Rita said...

Oh, and love that candy store!! Great pic of Adam. :)

Linda W. said...

I just love the old-fashioned candy stores!

Paula said...

Oh how I would love to visit that candy store!! Glad your procedures are behind you now!!

Terra said...

Adam's expression is happy and mischievous, yum, candy shop. Glad you had the skin work done, yes, growing up who knew about the sun. I love wearing hats now.

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

'Just like a kid in a candy store. What a cute pic and I adore that little ornery gleam in his eye. Sweet post....heeehehehe!!!

'Saw this pic and had to drop in and say howdie. Agin'...Mama didn't tell me it wasn't for the faint of heart. Hope your enjoyin' your summer.

God bless and have a marvelous day sweetie. :o)

Linda Reeder said...

I finally had a full dermatological check recently. I feels good to know you are ok for now.

Mac n' Janet said...

I see my dermatologist next week, I call her Melisandre, she of the flaming frozen nitrogen. She always finds something to freeze off or cut off. Isn't this getting older fun.

Red said...

It looks like you're good to go with your aging problem. I hope everything turns out for you.

Granny Marigold said...

That liquid nitrogen really stings, doesn't it ! I had 3 treatments on my nose, of all things, this summer. Hard to hide a bright red nose.

LindaG said...

I am a little envious of the candy store. The malted milk balls they sell in packages in stores now are nasty things.
Glad your checkup went well!

Still the Lucky Few said...

Congratulations on a clean bill of health from your dermatologist! I've had the nitrogen treatment. It stung for a minute, but was worth it to have it done. Loved meeting your grandson, Adam. Lots of love going around there!

Anonymous said...

Glad the dermatology appt. is over with. I recently had an appt. too and was so happy when everything healed up! Oh, the candy looks delicious. Daddy's favorite was malted milk balls. We got moved last Wed. and sold our old house over the weekend. Busy times and we are nearly dead but happy in the new place. Catching up with blogs tonight. God bless your weekend.

Anonymous said...

I too have had many keratoses frozen. The large one on my leg keeps coming back. And...it does hurt. The first time it felt like a hot knife plunging into my leg. I think the tissue is permanently sensitive there now.
Liquid nitrogen is not fun. I have cried when I had a plantar wart on the bottom of my foot. But....better than when it got bad enough that I had to have laser surgery to remove one.