Monday, April 27, 2015

The May Baskets 2015

Alrighty then time to use up some of those odd craft supplies.  Certainly you know someone that would smile when you give them a May Basket on May 1st…someone next door or down the street, or in that coffee shop, an elderly person that may remember this old tradition or a youngster that may recall it one day.

I have my supplies:

May Basket Materials

This year I have Dixie Cups, Origami Paper(That didn’t work out for another project) and red chenille stems.

May Baskets

I cut the Origami Paper into different shapes and decoupaged it onto the cups added a handle and viola it is a May Day Basket. 

I have May Day Candy on my grocery list!  Then I will be all set! 

Here are some more ideas for you.  May Baskets through the years. Not fancy..not expensive. Just fun!

May Baskets 2009

May Baskets 2010  Tutorial

May Baskets 2011  Tutorial

May Baskets 2012 Bee Basket Tutorial

May Basket 2013 Red Cup with Heart Tutorial

May Basket 2014  Triangular Shaped Basket

I hope you will help me bring alive this old tradition by decorating one basket to give away to a neighbor or a friend…you can also fill the baskets with flowers!

Blog Signature

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reminder of May Day. I would love to make a basket for my neighbor, a young mom with a 6 mo. old girl! I enjoyed looking back at all your creative baskets thru the years.

linda m said...

Love your basket ideas. What fun. The local grade school kids make May Day baskets for all us neighbors. It's so cute to watch them run from door to door.

Linda Kay said...

What a great idea! I haven't made a May basket for many, many years, but I remember when we used to take a bunch to school for the class.

Marty said...

How lovely. Such a thoughtful idea. The old Girl Scout leader in me just perked right up.

Gail said...

A wonderful tradition and such talented designs.

MTWaggin said...

I've told you this before but I ADORE that you do May Baskets. Reminds me so much of when I was a kid and we made them. Love it and I "should" do them too! :)

L. D. said...

My memories of May baskets go way back. I put out baskets with a friend name Larry Gene, in Murray, Iowa. He lived in town and it was such a fascination for a farm boy to got there. Our last May baskets came years ago from neighbor girls. One live in another town and the oldest one lives in NYC and flies all over the world as a lawyer. If I lived closer I would take a big basket to my grandson.

Rita said...

That's something I have never received. We maybe made them one year in grade school for our moms in art class. They do seem such a happy tradition. I do love to see what you make every year. :)

Shirley said...

I remember when we were kids we used to get books every year called "Things To Make And Do" and there were May basket patterns in there; it was something we did every year.

Tired Teacher said...

Love the cup/baskets and really should rig up some myself. Yikes, I'd better get busy as May 1st is this week!

LindaG said...

I don't remember them in Michigan, but it is so wonderful that you keep the tradition. ♥

Terry and Linda said...

I think your ideas will be good. I wish I had someone to deliver to this year.

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

Oh, so much fun!

Red said...

Cool stuff and lots of fun. You also gain by giving gifts.

Country Gal said...

What a lovely tradition and idea , I have never heard of May Day baskets over here eh ? . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Jacqi Stevens said...

May 1st is the start of finals at my daughter's college. I bet some weary and starving students would really appreciate a May basket...

Anonymous said...

I grew up with the May Day basket tradition. My daughter grew up with it, and my granddaughter did too. My granddaughter's entire elementary school participated as they walked around the school neighborhood delivering the baskets they made. Each grade has a specific section of the neighborhood to take care of. I enjoyed looking back at your baskets over the years.

Anonymous said...

I remember making those May baskets and it was so much fun. You really did want to get caught by one of those cute guys that happened to be a neighbor. Brings back such nice memories of Childhood! Sharon

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I don't guess I ever made May baskets in school..if so, I just don't recall. Yours are too cute, and would be a lovely gift for a teacher or friend.

DJan said...

You got me started with May baskets! I really like the whole idea, although nobody even said a word after last year's baskets. Kind of disappointing. :-)