Saturday, May 25, 2019

Connie's Kook ken (Kuchen)

Kuchen  is a dessert  that Russian and German settlers used to make.   There are many many old recipes out there.  I like to read recipes...and I also like to experiment.

The crusts were all a bit different and most recipes were for 8  yes eight kuchen.  I didn't need 8 I just needed one.

I had a plan...most were a sweet dough recipe..don't they sell cinnamon roll dough? Sure enough.

I buttered a pie plate... I thawed out the dough of five cinnamon rolls...I made a big ball of dough and then pressed it into my pie plate...I then pricked the dough with a fork and baked it at 350 for 10 minutes.

 Meanwhile I made the filling.   I whisked 3 eggs violently and added a half a cup of sugar and whisked some more then I added a pint (2 cups) of heavy whipping cream. ( I am certain in the old settler days this was skimmed off the top of a cooled pail of milk as cream rises) I heated this mixture stirring constantly over medium heat...stir and stir some more....when you are real tired of stirring it may become a thick mixture or start to burn on the bottom of the pan ...so you quit so you won't ruin the whole thing.

Add your fruit to the pie plate with your partially baked dough...I used raspberries. But you can use any fruit you like...frozen fruit should be thawed out first.

Pour on your creamy mixture and top with some cinnamon sugar.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes...cool and store in fridge.

yes my crust could have been neater and I should have added some vanilla. This makes two kuchen...my other one was without a crust and featured frozen blueberries...so it was more like a pudding.

The Raspberry Kuchen got high marks from our friends who buy Kuchen every time they are in North Dakota.

Our friends did lamb on the grill, with oven fried potatoes and marvelous vegetables. ( Far Guy and I both like lamb...at least the way they prepare it!)

I said I would bring dessert...orange sherbet was the back up.
It was a successful foodie adventure!
Far Side

24 comments:

Sam I Am...... said...

I make Kuchen every once in awhile. It had a comeback in the 70's by Duncan Hines I think. I still have the original recipe which was apple but like you said you can use any fruit. I've used peaches too. I love raspberries so maybe I'll try that one next. Your recipe sounds truly original.

Dawn said...

Wow! I've never heard of kuchen. It sounds interesting, sort of like a banana cream pie, custard-y? Glad it worked out! It looks good. I just might try it.

Victoria Zigler said...

The Kuchen sounds very tasty.

DJan said...

It sure looks tasty to me. I'm sitting in bed early in the morning and my stomach is rumbling, just from looking at that picture! I'll bet it was good! :-)

imagesisee.blogspot.com, said...

This looks/sounds delicious. I hope I remember to come back to it for the recipe and try it.

Maebeme said...

Sounds like a great meal and the kuchen sounds very tasty. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Cynthia said...

That looks good and nice to have a shortcut like the frozen cinnamon roll dough.

Miss Merry said...

I love kuchen. I never make it because I am blessed with a German Catholic parish where numerous people bring it to every church breakfast. But I love your much easier recipe and might just try it myself!

Bonnie said...

That sounds and looks delicious and I love it when we can get shortcuts for the crust. Thanks for the recipe!

Sara said...

Looks yummy! Kuchen is actually the official dessert of South Dakota. A small nearby town is pretty famous for it and you can buy them frozen in most grocery stores around here. Not as good a fresh however.

Laurel Wood said...

That looks delicious to me. Sounds like a great meal together.

Rita said...

Never heard of it but it sounds and looks delicious! :)

Debi said...

Yum! That kuchen looks delicious! I love how you experiment with recipes!

Linda W. said...

My German grandma used to make apple kuchen.

diane in northern wis said...

Congrats....sounds like it was a wonderful meal all around! How fun to get together and share food duties. Hope it was a beautiful weather day too!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Not something I have heard of but it does look good

Rose said...

I bet my husband would LOVE this...I had never heard of it either.

Granny Marigold said...

Your kuchen looks delectable. I grew up with kuchen only we called it 'Platz'. The only difference was that my mom made a streusel topping.

Red said...

I like kuchen but I didn't know it took that much effort to make.

Linda Reeder said...

Looks yummy. In fact your whole meal does.

Betsy said...

I'm going to copy your recipe if that's okay with you. I would love to give it a try with some raspberries I have in my freezer from last summer. It looks SO good.
Blessings,
Betsy

Jacqi Stevens said...

I love experimenting with recipes! Sounds like your adventure turned out just fine. So glad to hear you are one of the rare ones who really like lamb. I do too, but find my taste is in the minority. If we ever get together, we'll have to celebrate with a lamb dinner!

L. D. said...

It sounds and looks delicious. I have rhubarb cut up and ready to assemble for a cobbler. Yours is a lot more interesting.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Absolutely!