Saturday, March 4, 2017

Funeral : Aunt Kay

My Aunt Kay died a week ago she was 76 years old. The funeral was yesterday.  My Mother is fighting a bad cold, she sent my Father out to go to the funeral with us.  My other baby brother and she who sees robin’s first went too.  Far Guy stayed home…good thing too as the perfumy smell of cleaning products assaulted you as soon as you opened the door of the church.

My Aunt Kay was married to my Uncle Clarence, Butch was his nickname.   They raised four children together and then divorced.  I had not seen my cousins in about 24 years.  It was good to see them at the funeral…now they are in their 50’s except for Holly who is going to be 48 she was born on our wedding day back in 1969.

My Aunt Kay was a very kind woman, she was a good mother and grandmother.  I have many good memories of her when I was growing up. I saw her and my uncle just about every week at my grandparents for Sunday dinner.  Their place on Little Floyd Lake where they raised chinchillas.  The new home they built together that had a double fireplace was beautiful.   We butchered chickens one summer out on a picnic table in the yard.  My Dad worked at the “shop” there and we would visit him there in the spring. When Far Guy and I picked out Mom and Dad’s White German Shepard puppy in Ada Minnesota…we took the pup as far as Uncle Butch and Aunt Kay’s place so my parents could pick her up.

The Funeral Sermon was short and sweet and to the point.  Ashes to ashes dust to dust.  Laugh and enjoy your time here on earth whatever troubles you encounter won’t matter in heaven.  Death has lost it’s sting because Jesus died on the cross. 

O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?  The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 

Aunt Kays Funeral March 3 2017

I took a photo inside the church so my Mother could see all the flowers.

After the afternoon service we joined with the family for coffee and bars…all kinds mainly chocolate!

I took some photos of my Uncle and Aunt’s wedding album…they got married in October of 1960.

1960 Butch and kay

 

 

Butch and Kay wedding party 1960

Carey and the flower girl

My baby brother was the ring bearer.

Butch and Kay and Parents

The parents looking at the ring.  Those are my grandparents on the right.  Grandma wore gloves and grandpa had some dark hair.

Wedding cake

The wedding cake photo with a bunch of little girls looking on.  One is me, I am the tallest, my Aunt Karen is next to me…down in front the little gal with the great expression on her face might be  relatives from the other side of the family or it might be cousins La Rae, Vickie or Diane.

From weddings to the grave…my Uncle Butch died in 1993 and now Aunt Kay in 2017.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

My deepest sympathy. I am glad that your Dad could go with you to the funeral. Fun to see the snapshots of the wedding album. The older I get, it seems the years just fly by.
Hope you and FG and Chance have a nice day.

Shirley said...

My condolences on the death of your aunt.
One of the best things about funeral- and weddings- is that they bring families together. Love the wedding photos.

Terry and Linda said...

I sorry for your aunts death. Losing people we love sure leaves a void in our lives. :(

Tired Teacher said...

Funerals and weddings bring families together in a special way, so it's fitting that you shared both in this post. Deepest sympathy to all of Aunt Kay's extended family.

Rita said...

Weddings and funerals. Glad you took pictures for your Mom since she couldn't go. I hope she's feeling better soon. Glad your dad was able to attend with you, though. The old pics bring back memories. I was a flower girl at my aunt and uncle's wedding back in...must have been 1956. (I think I was five.) How time flies! Good thing FarGuy didn't go with all the scents being so strong. You got to finally see some cousins, even if it wasn't under the best circumstances. Where does the time go?

Cynthia said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your aunt. Such a cute photo of you watching them share a piece of cake at their wedding.

Red said...

Memorials bring back a lot of good memories. Beautiful modern church.

Paula said...

I am sorry for the loss of your Aunt Kay. The picture of the church is beautiful. I love older wedding photos!!

Anonymous said...

My condolences on the passing of your Aunt Kay. She was a widow for a long time. Her wedding dress was beautiful. I think a short sermon is good when it can get to the point like that! Very nice. Your blog banner is calming. Hope you've had a good Saturday!

Granny Marigold said...

Sorry to read about your aunt passing away. One of the nice things about funerals is that we get to see relatives we rarely ever see. That sermon certainly got the most important points right down pat!!

Linda Reeder said...

My sympathy for your family's loss.
That is a beautiful church, and it sounds like to was a good family gathering. Blessing out of loss.

L. D. said...

Sorry for your loss. Family grows old with us. I have a set of three cousins that I have never met because of a divorce. I know they are out there but never crossed paths as they live out of state.

Lynda said...

The more years that pass in our lives, the more people we know who are leaving us behind on Earth while they continue their eternal journey elsewhere. Excellent message from Scripture. Our family looks forward to eternal life in the presence of Jesus - - - with loved ones who have gone on before - - - but it is hard on our hearts until we join them.
On the flip side, it is always wonderful to get to fellowship with those who have come to honor the life of the deceased. Even in our town, there are people I would rarely see if it weren't for visitation/viewing hours.

Patsy said...

All our family are gone---we are next.

DJan said...

She was only two years older than I am right now. I keep realizing that as the years pass, the time when I too will be joining my lost loved ones gets closer. Thank you for showing the wedding photos, bringing her life as a housewife and mother full circle.

LindaG said...

*hugs* You have my condolences.

Sam I Am...... said...

The older I get 76 seems mighty young! I'm so sorry for your loss. Was it your Mom's or Dad's sister or neither? The picture of the 'tallest girl' (you) before I read the caption, I did a double-take.....in that picture you looked just like my younger cousin Shelly Ann Gray. Then I read the caption and it was you! What a cutie! The Church is beautiful and I hope your Mom recovers soon. My middle name and my older cousins middle name is Kay. I asked my Mother once why she named me after my cousin Kay who is only one year older than me! Who names a baby after a 1 year old? I mean really! What was she thinking?