Friday, February 23, 2018

Wildlife

Yesterday a whole bunch of Wild Turkeys visited our feeders.  I counted 14 of them…all females or young males cause they had no beards.

Turkey

Several of them came real close to the window.  The old Border Collie was sleeping so he didn’t even notice.

IMG_8064

A very brave or hungry squirrel tried chasing them away…they ignored the interruption.

One thing we noticed the little Redpolls would not visit the feeders while the turkeys were here. The turkeys scratched around in the snow.  I rapped on the window and scared all but one away…Far Guy finally hollered out the window…but that Turkey must have been deaf or mildly confused….he/she took its time wandering away.

Our days are quiet, every afternoon we all settle down for a nap…good thing too as we were up very late watching the USA vs Canada Women’s Olympic Hockey Wednesday Night/early Thursday morning…what an exciting game!  If you saw the awards ceremony you couldn’t helped but be moved the way the whole team locked arms and swayed back and forth while singing The National Anthem.  Impressive.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Victoria Zigler said...

Maybe the turkey just had a stubbourn streak?

linda m said...

Too bad you can't catch one and have a turkey dinner. Enjoy the weekend.

DJan said...

I didn't see the final parts of the hockey win, but I always think of you and your family when I'm watching, wondering if one day you'll have a relative on the winning team. I saw it later, though, and it was so emotional! :-)

Tired Teacher said...

Great photos! Looks like your feeder is helpingna lot of critters through the winter.

Country Gal said...

Nice photos . Those birds are big aren't they ?! I haven't watched to much Olympics the odd figure skating and curling , they all work so hard . Hope Far Guy is doing better and you all have a good weekend ! PS temps are about +4C to 10C here eh ?! and no snow left for us southwesteners of Ontario Canada.

Red said...

I want to say boohoo, our girls lost but just to play there is a great achievement. Congrats to the American girls. I prefer women's hockey as there's more action.

thecrazysheeplady said...

I just love wild turkeys :-).

Terry and Linda said...

We like afternoon naps...really like them.

Sam I Am...... said...

What a bunch of turkeys! First time in years I didn't see the Olympics...I was sad as I am usually glued to the set. But here I would have to have satellite just to get regular channels and I refuse....up North I got them for free. I don't think it's that much cheaper to live down here in the long run. That was the reason my parents moved here....taxes. I think they just wanted to get away from their daughter! LOL!

Granny Marigold said...

Those turkeys must have been very hungry to come so close to the window.

Cynthia said...

Boy, those ladies are BIG!

troutbirder said...

Actually I don't think Turkey are very bright. Domestic ones are reputed to be subject to drowning standing in the rain...:)

Linda Reeder said...

I watched the hockey game too, and stayed up for the medal ceremony. It was wonderful!

Buttons alias Grace said...

Oh those turkeys are a funny stubborn bunch but so much fun to watch.

L. D. said...

That is a strange sight to see them all out there. I was surprise as to how big they are when I drove some along the highway. They were almost too close to the highway but were eating spilled corn.

The Wykeham Observer said...

The turkeys are quite a sight as they visit in a big group. The redpolls here only seem to stay around with the chickadees and nuthatches, birds of similar size. They avoid the woodpeckers and bluejays.

Jenn Jilks said...

We enjoyed the Olympics! We taped a won, to watch at our leisure!!!