Thursday, February 1, 2018

Home (again) At Last

We were only home from the hospital for 22 hours when Far Guy had a relapse and went into respiratory distress. With the help of my nephew Josh and his cousin Ryan we loaded Far Guy and Chance into the vehicle and I headed for a hospital 90 miles away.  I could not get Far Guys oxygen level above 81%.  He was gasping for breath almost all the way even when on his portable oxygen. 

I could have taken him back to a local hospital but I decided that maybe something else was amuck.  The local ambulance service will only transport you to the nearest health care facility.  I figured if I headed toward the bigger city if I had to call 911 odds were that I could get him there if I was closer. ( Remember I used to be an EMT so I was confident I could handle the situation if he got worse and if I needed more help I would call for it.)

On Monday we were in the ER for about seven hours before being transfered to a room. Andy, Jen and Trica were there, Savannah came later in the evening.  The Doctor ran all kinds of tests.  Tuesday afternoon the diagnosis came through…RSV.  Respiratory Syncytial Virus.  We were already in a room that required everyone to wear a mask.  It progressed to mask gloves and gowns.  Someone with RSV is very contagious and they are very susceptable to secondary infections like the flu.  RSV is prevalent in small children and causes anything from a cold to respiratory failure…the elderly, people with lung problems and immune suppressed people are more likely to get RSV.  No visitors were allowed, after the diagnosis I left only once to get clothing out of the car.  The Doctor asked us to stay out of the hallway.  We were in isolation.  Good thing we love each other. They brought me a chair bed that I heaped pillows on to sleep right next to Far Guy.

There is no magic pill for RSV  you have to muck through it with supportive oxygen and steroids and time…the virus will eventually burn itself out.  Many people die from it each year.  Our Doctor said only one in 200,000 adults over the age of four get RSV.  It was diagnosed through a blood test.

Little by little Far Guy improved, at least he wasn’t getting sicker.

We are home and we can have no visitors for at least two weeks maybe longer.  We don’t want to give anyone anything and we don’t want their germs either.

I have to make a trip out to get a couple of prescriptions filled and stock up on some groceries…then we will stay put.

We are both exhaused, sleeping in a hospital is hard.

Chance is really mad at us…he wagged his tail once at me and then started to ignore me.  Jen brought him to the hospital parking lot so he could go home with us…he didn’t seem real happy to get home either.  Maybe he misses Miney and Little Elvis.

I will be back to blogging soon, I have to catch up on some sleep first.

Thanks for all your good thoughts and prayers we appreciate them!

I hope we are home longer than 22 hours this time.

Chance

Blog Signature

44 comments:

diane in northern wis said...

Oh I am so glad to hear that you took Far Guy to a larger hospital, even though you had to drive 90 miles. And now you are back home again with him. I will continue to pray that all goes well for him and that he can kick this latest bug that is laying him low. Thank God he has you there to help. You sound like you are extremely capable! My prayers will continue for him and you. Take good care. Thank you for letting us know what's happening!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Far Guy update. I'm not sure which is harder, being the patient or being the nurse. Prayers for both of you!!!

Mac n' Janet said...

God bless you both, so glad they got a handle on it. Hope his recovery is smooth. Take care.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you for the update, prayers for both of you. Hugs.
Joy

Jacqi Stevens said...

Yes! Hopefully this time, you get to stay home for way more than 22 hours! I know it was difficult, but I'm glad you opted for the bigger hospital. I think that was the best decision, considering what happened. And yes, best wishes for catching up on a full night's sleep; hospitals are no place to go if you want to get some rest ;)

The Furry Gnome said...

Still thinking of you guys.

Red said...

Thanks for the report. It's a challenge for both of you and it looks like you're making progress. Have a good rest.

Wendy said...

Thank you for the update. You have been in my thoughts continually. So happy you opted for a long trip to the hospital. Take care both of you. Praying for continued improvement. Happy you are all home. Stay rested.

Bill Volstad said...

Best wishes. So sorry you're having to go thru this. Good Luck. I'm a long time lurker.

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Goodness! Get well soon! My wife finally got over her bug. Fingers crossed I do not catch it as well. It must be tough if you have had lung damage before. Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Granny Marigold said...

Sorry to hear things have been so rough. Hopefully Far Guy will make a complete recovery and life will go back to normal. And hopefully both of you can get the rest you need. Do take care.

Bonnie said...

Oh my goodness, you've both been through so much! I hope it is all better from this point on! You have my prayers and healing thoughts. Rest and take care of yourselves!

Linda Reeder said...

It's so good that you knew how to get the help for FG that he needed. Now hopefully the wellness can begin and eventually you will be back to enjoying your life again.

Karen said...

Wow, that would have been a scary 90 minute drive, but the best decision I think. So glad to hear that both of you are back at home, and hope the recovery goes better this time round. Poor Chance, but he will just have to suck it up for a bit. Maybe a neighbour could drop by and take him for a stroll (would he go with them?) Wish I was closer, I'd be happy to do that. Take care of yourselves, well I think you are already doing the best job, here's to a good recovery!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to update us. I have been praying for both of you. So thankful you took FG to the larger hospital. I know this is so difficult on you too. Love to you, FG and Chance.

KareBear said...

Take care....speedy recovery for Far Guy. Hoping for the best, for you both.

Sallysmom said...

Oh, my, what a scary situation. So glad that he is home. Will be thinking of you all.

Pauline Persing said...

So glad you knew to get to a bigger hospital with more resources. Will continue keeping you and your family in my prayers.

linda m said...

Thanks for the update. I am so happy they finally found out what was wrong. Glad you took FG to the larger hospital. Praying his recovery goes better now that he has been correctly diagnosed. I will continue to keep you both in my prayers. Get some rest and don't you have a relapse with your cold.

Intense Guy said...

Continuing to pray and keep you three in my thoughts.

That was (and remains) a scare and a half, I'm sure.

DJan said...

I never heard of RSV before. I'm so glad to know that Gene is improving; I had a sneak preview on Facebook and was never happier to hear about somebody getting out of the hospital. He's got a good nurse and hopefully he'll be back to normal soon. Prayers remain, coming strongly in your direction.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Whew! :-D

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness. Sending healing thoughts to all of you. Take care.

Tired Teacher said...

Scary! Healing prayers and positive vibes headed your way.

Joyce F said...

Sending get well thoughts and prayers for both of you.

Kansas Kay said...

What an ordeal! Hang in there!

Lynda said...

So thankful to hear from you. I have been praying for him. I wanted to write a couple of times but knew you would get back to us as soon as you were able. That RSV is wicked bad stuff. Both grandsons had it the year the baby was 6 months. Very thankful they recovered without pneumonia or hospitalization. It sounds like the hospital in the bigger city does an excellent job - - - of diagnosing and keeping quarantine.
Right now our schools are closed for a long weekend due to the flu. It would be nice if parents realized people should stay at their own homes for a few days to stop the spread of it.

Victoria Zigler said...

I'm glad he's well enough to come home again, and hope it stays that way this time. Get some rest, and remember to look after yourself while looking after Far Guy.

Chance will forgive you soon... Animals are good about that.

Henny Penny said...

You are a strong person! That was a lot to handle. I'm glad to hear you're home again. Hope Far Guy gets over all this soon, and you get some rest.

Terry and Linda said...

I am praying for health for all of you!!!

Rita said...

I hadn't heard of RSV. So glad they figured it out and that FarGuy is back home, at least. It is not easy to rest in a hospital. I hope he gets better and better.

I didn't know you had been an EMT! Kudos. FarGuys is in really good hands. :)

Anonymous said...

So good to get updated and that things are heading in the right direction. Will continue to pray for both of you.

Gemma's person said...

Take care !!!

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

I am so sorry that FG is going through this illness. I know how rough it is. Ssending {hugs} and well wishes, and pray that he recovers 100%.

L. D. said...

I wish you both well. I won’t stop praying until Far Guy gets back up to the good from all of this.

Paula said...

Oh my goodness. You have been through a lot. Hope you are both getting the rest you need! God Bless

NanaNor's said...

You and your hubby have certainly been through a lot; I've heard of that virus and it is nasty. There are so many bad bugs going around lately. Makes you just want to cocoon. Praying FG gets better soon.
Hugs,
Noreen

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh my goodness that is a long distance to the hospital, for us it is only 11k's or 6 miles to the main hospital can't imagine having to drive so far with someone who isn't well

MJM said...

Thank you for the update, and so happy to hear you are home again! I hope FG gets better every day. And hope that you take care of yourself also. Poor Chance..he's worried about his people too.

Shirley H. said...

Please keep us all posted on how things are going. Prayers.

The Wykeham Observer said...

Stay well and let the blog sit.

Jennifer said...

Maybe Chance wants you to give him bacon strips, or pet him until you are full of hair, or play ball, or sit with him when he drinks water, or add ice cubes to his water, or help him go around scary corners, or not to leave the room so you can go to the bathroom, or make him brown rice with his food, or brush him, or put apple cider vinegar on his spots, or give him his bone treats! Or sleep on the couch because he can’t see you when you aren’t right next to him. Perhaps he misses his NEW favorite person.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and praying for you both. RSV is going around in Minnesota; my niece had it two months ago (immuno-compromised as well). It's also rampant in the local day care facilities no matter how hard they try to avoid it. Take care of Far Guy and yourself, and Chance of course, well, after he finishes "punishing" you for not doing his bidding. :)

Sam I Am...... said...


I didn't check your blog because you said you were taking a break..1 day is not a break! LOL! But glad you are keeping us up to date with hubby. So scary and he gets things I have never even heard of! Still praying!