Sunday, July 23, 2017

Yard Report

Early last spring we crawled around the big bunch of grass that grows on the east side of the house, picking out lots of dead stuff and some weeds.  We hauled off two wheelbarrows full of dead stuff. This grass was growing here naturally when we built the house.

Big Bluestem

The clump has gotten larger over the years.  It must like this spot.  We never water it so it is a maintence free plant except for the spring cleanup…I think it is some kind of Canary Grass but I am not sure. It is quite tall, Far Guy says three feet, I say five feet so we are calling it four feet tall. I may measure it sometime in the light of day.

About 18 years ago I planted a Japanese Tree Lilac (Syringa reticilata) on the west side of the house.  I am still waiting for it to bloom.

Japanese Tree Lilac

Waiting and waiting…  perhaps it is unhappy living amongst the oaks.  I am tempted to give it a trim.  Perhaps it was not a Japanse Tree Lilac afterall.

Firepit 

I have left the clover in the west yard for the bees but I will probably have to mow this week.  I saw only two bees over there this past week.  We don’t have bees like we had twenty years ago.

Pathetic Garden

My flower garden on the south side of the house is a failure this year. The squirrels have eaten many of the flowers and what is left is struggling to survive.  The only time the squirrels leave the area is when Chance is outside.

So much for my yard report. One of these days I will photograph the wild gardens and our newest planting.

Blog Signature

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, We have a few plants that we are waiting on to bloom. It's great that your grass grows so well with very little care. We planted some grasses on a steep slop to prevent erosion-so far, so good. Wishing you guys and Chance a nice day.

DJan said...

Too bad about your flower garden this year, but I have to say that the glass flowers look great! They can't do much to them. And that is a lovely patch of grass, looks very healthy. :-)

Ramblings of a Retired Lady said...

It has been so extremely hot here this year, it is hard for anything to grow and what does, doesnt make it long....we have watered and tried, but it is just not cooperating. You have a lovely yard, grass, trees, flowers, etc.

Still the Lucky Few said...

You seem to have lots of space and privacy. Your attempts to grow flowers and trees are admirable, but difficult, given the environment. I don't know what you can do about the squirrels—it's practically impossible to keep them away, without the aid of netting. Frustrating!

Anonymous said...

I said recently I never would have dreamed when I was growing up that some day it would be a treat to see a bee or a butterfly.

Jan said...

How nice of you to provide meals for the always greedy and ungrateful tree rodents.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good luck with those plantings! I found wasps under my half barrel. They destroyed my dahlia. I'm so sad! Maybe next year! Too bad about your lilac. It might need more sun? Just a thought!
cheerio!

Terry and Linda said...

Your yard is beautiful! Although it is sad about your Lilac. I've noticed this year I don't have the hummers like I used too. Thankfully the bees I have a wild nest in one tree here. I love having them.

Cynthia said...

Funny the Japanese lilac hasn't produced any lilacs. Maybe it doesn't like American neighbors? Squirrels! The only thing they are good for is keeping Bob the Border Collie in shape. She hasn't caught one yet but she never fails to try. I imagine they give chance some good exercise too.

Rita said...

I'm lucky that the ground squirrels don't eat my flowers. Yes, I do see a couple of them around this summer that come by to drink the water regularly. Ground squirrels must have different tastes than tree squirrels. ;) Even with the light drizzle days and a few brief rains the grass is turning brown. Love all the privacy you have there. No wonder why you like to sit outside and carve. :)

Red said...

So generally the yard and garden are good!

Granny Marigold said...

I hope your Japanese Tree Lilac rewards your patience one of these years!!

Dreaming said...

I am thinking your lilac would like sunshine. We lived in a pine forest in SC for 30 years, and flowering shrubs, trees and small plants rarely did well. Even so, your yard look so very inviting.

Karen said...

Sad about the bees. Maybe too much use of neonicotinoids in your area? Humankind fails to see the bigger picture far too many times.

Sam I Am...... said...

Your yard is beautiful compared to mine. I couldn't mow when I had the RA and then it got so hot I couldn't stand to be outside but to water and that was pushing it! Yesterday it was overcast so I picked up all the twigs from storms, filled the mower and it wouldn't start! Not a peep so I must need a new battery....I think it might be time to hire someone for now.