Sunday, April 26, 2015

Orange Trees

I took a photo of the orange trees so you could see that they are still orange.   I am certain it is not Pine Bark Beetles because when they attack the tree it turns orange from the top down.  These trees turned orange all over within a few days last fall (September 22 was the first photos I took of the orange trees.).

Orange Trees

You may ask why does she document this?  Because I can, perhaps to keep a record.  I wonder how many more trees will turn orange before someone else notices.

“Acts of creation are ordinarily reserved for gods and poets, but humbler folk may circumvent this restriction if they know how. To plant a pine, for example, one need be neither god nor poet; one need only own a good shovel.”  Aldo Leopold  A Sand County Almanac

Blog Signature

18 comments:

Georgina said...

That's dreadful. Poor trees. I don't suppose there's a wildlife protection or tree officer who investigates this sort of thing? In my experience the local council usually ignores stuff like this unless they actually own the trees.

Lynda said...

When I look, I see a tinderbox. Very frightening if a fire were to start. Very sad to see them dead.

DJan said...

Do you think it's pesticides that have done it? I love that quote from Aldo. I have created in just the same way in my garden. :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes something was sprayed on the field across the road:(

Linda W. said...

Wow, that's very strange. Wonder if the trees contracted some type of disease?

Gail said...

I fear they are gone. Was there spraying? We lost our bees and many plants when the high line people thought it would be a great idea to spray.

The tornadoes and ice storms from the past has weakened many of our trees and they seem to succumb quicker to the bug invasion.

Patsy said...

looks like all the needles would have fallen off if they are dead.
They look the same as last time you took the photo and I can see some green in the trees.

Muffie said...

I wonder if they'll just stay orange or turn back to green.

Red said...

Curious? Disease?Poisons? damage?

Anonymous said...

They aren't Tamaracks are they? Tamaracks turn color in the fall, but I don't honestly know if they get that orange.

Far Side of Fifty said...

No they are Pine trees, I believe they were chemically damaged in September of 2014.

Anonymous said...

What a shame. Wonder what the chemicals are doing to people and animals?

Terry and Linda said...

I'm like you I think they were chemically damaged! Who would do such a horrid thing?

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Ouch.

Henny Penny said...

What a shame. That's a lot of trees.

Karen said...

I have to wonder if it was intentional or not. If not, it's scary what wind drift can do.

MTWaggin said...

If it was drought or winter kill, they'd still have some green - those honestly look like they were sprayed.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Have you asked the forestry dept.?