Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wistful Wednesday: October 2014 and July 1965

Recently Far Guy’s class had a get together.  He arranged it…I call him the class babysitter, he notifies everyone who has an email address when someone dies and he has a Facebook page for his class.

He was a little bummed out that more people didn’t show up. I am not sure how many kids were in his class..he says 157 and 19 are deceased..that is a 10% showing.  I told him to be thankful for those that showed up! 

There were thirteen total.  I am their official photographer.

Class of 1968 in 2014

Most are local..and live in the area OR have property in Park Rapids like Gravy.  Tom came from Denver Colorado. Two of the classmates (Jerry and Mary) are married and have been married a long time. We visit with three of the classmates on a regular basis (Sheila, Jackie and Gravy)

I am not much for reunions…I think they are a pain in the butt…however one of the gals that Far Guy used to date had a few old photos.

Photos from 49 years ago.

Gene and Joan  Linda Snelling and unknown

Joan, Gene, Linda and an unknown guy.

In July of 1965 they would have been about 15 years old. Linda died young..I think she was about 24 years old when she died from a brain tumor.  I have no idea who is taking the picture…this photo may have been taken in May of 1965….but it could have been taken early in July of 1965.

Someone who is in the photograph cannot remember a thing.

Blog Signature

15 comments:

linda m said...

I am not much of a reunion person. I never enjoy myself as I find I have nothing in common with any of my former classmates. I went to my grade school reunion but have never attended any of my high school ones. I did get together with former classmates, but we really didn't have much to talk about. Guess my life changed too much after high school and we went in opposite directions down the path of life.

DJan said...

I think thirteen is a good number, enough to have fun and not so many that you can't enjoy catching up with everybody. The official photographer did a good job, I think. :-)

Henny Penny said...

I don't care much for class reunions, but enjoy seeing pictures and hearing about them. You are so funny, that last sentence! :) Gosh! The deer! I need to send Poppy hunting up there. Our deer, for some unknown reason, have disappeared. Even the 5 to 7 deer that walked around the pond daily are gone.

Linda Kay said...

Reunions get easier as we get older, when everyone is just glad to see who is still alive and kicking. LOL Good for Far Guy for organizing the event. Our last class president still does those things for us as well.

Nancy said...

I don't like reunions - I have little in common with my former classmates any more. There were 10 in my graduating class. One is dead and the rest want someone else to do the planning, and this someone doesn't want to do it.

Red said...

Tell Far Guy to keep on working on the reunions. They are valuable. there's much to say to our class mates.

Mac n' Janet said...

Went to one reunion, but didn't particularly enjoy it. The people I didn't like in high school I still didn't like, they were still annoying and they sucked the life out of the place. We had our 50th this year and definitely didn't attend.

Sam I Am...... said...

I've never been to a reunion as I went to a private boarding school and they were from all over the world and we all still are! Some of us have connected on FB but not for too long. Is Far Guy's name Gene???? Is that him with that girl on his lap? My parents would have killed me! They were very strict and I got in trouble for just dancing with a girlfriend in the yard. She was trying to teach me "the Hitchhiker"...boy did I get in trouble for that one!

Cynthia said...

I'm amazed to see all the comments of people who feel like I do about class reunions. I thought I was the only one! I went to school with the same people from 1st grade through 12th and was most happy to go out into the world and choose my friends from a bigger pool.

marlu said...

Our class was an exception to the negative thoughts here - the older we got, the more we liked seeing each other. No more cliques and everybody was glad to see who was still here. We put the senior pictures of those who had died on an easel so for those who had not been able to read the local paper they could see who had left us. (Before the internet newspapers, obviously!) Lots of fun to work on and hunt for those scattered.

Jacqi Stevens said...

Reunions were never my favorite, either--but then, I come from a graduating class of 600. A small group gathering for dinner each year might be fun :)

Leah said...

:) I recognized a few of the people... don't be disappointed Far Guy - it looks like it was a good group!

Primitive Stars said...

Evening, never were my favorite but once there felt good to see everyone.Blessings Francine.

Cranberry Morning said...

Haha. Yeah, someone in the photograph has selective memory ;-). I'm glad my old photos are well hidden. Lol. So nice your guy cares enough to get people together. I live near the town where I graduated from high school and have never been to a reunion. I'm waiting for everyone to grow up. I think I should be safe by now. :-)

Rita said...

Our class (Fridley, MN) has reunions every five years. I made every one of them until the 30th when I'd moved out of town and can't travel anymore. We just had our 45th a year ago, I believe. I always enjoyed them. Love the old picture and the new one, too. :)