Thursday, January 2, 2014

The Unbelievable Uglies

We ran across an old pin.

Uglies Pin

The first real date that I had with Far Guy was Thanksgiving weekend 1967.  We went to the Detroit Lakes Armory to a dance that would be the first of several Uglies dances we would attend.   Rock and Roll at it’s finest.  Winston Fink with his rubber chicken was a real showman. One of the best parts of the dance was watching the band. They caused a rock and roll riot in Fargo North Dakota that same year and were banned from playing their music in town for a while. (quite shocking for Fargo)

Back at the dance in DL as it is known by the locals, Far Guy had a former girl friend in town his cousins Rod and Tom would dance by and say “Nickel for your thoughts..and got a nickel?”  His former girlfriends name was Penny.  He had more old girlfriends than any other guy I dated.

The Uglies made a few records, they didn’t get famous.  I always thought they would be discovered.  Winston Fink (Dave) died on New Years Day in 2008.  So when the band does a reunion tour it would never be quite the same.

A long time ago Far Guy met one of the replacement drummers when he joined the Happy Hooligans. His name might be Gary Breyer…Far Guy cannot quite remember.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago. The Uglies made a video that showed a house that Far Guy recognized.  He was on the Fire Department back then and the house burned down.  The people who lived there were more concerned about the welfare of the fireman than their home. It turned out to be one of the Unbelievable Uglies homes.

I am a music snob.  I don’t listen to music unless it is old Rock and Roll preferably from the 1960’s. 

These cold winter nights bring on old memories of good music with a great dateSmile 

Blog Signature

18 comments:

linda m said...

Those are some great memories. I remember some of those great bands from back in the sixties - best music ever to dance to. Keep warm.

DJan said...

I love that kind of music, too. But I do listen to some other genres, just to remind myself how good our old R&R was! :-)

Primitive Stars said...

Thanks for the memories, great tunes, Francine.

Henny Penny said...

Enjoyed this post!. Oh, music back then had a beat. Something you could dance to.

Lynda said...

The music was so good 'back then' that the bands and singers are doing re-makes of it!!! I remember going to the "teen center" dances at the Methodist or Lutheran Church (they alternated) on the weekend - - - with the local bands. Fun memories.

Intense Guy said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unbelievable_Uglies - the band IS famous... :)

Beth said...

Wonderful memories. I love all kinds of music except for rap and hard rock. Love the 50s rock and roll.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Great memories! Music from the 50's and 60's is my favorite to listen to.

Karen said...

Fun memories. Happy New Year! I'm off to read about the Uglies on Wikipedia:)

Nancy said...

What a great post!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

This made me smile. The music of our youth really connects with something deep inside and makes us feel young again. I can't remember the names of the regional bands, but they were so much fun to dance to. I didn't really get into the Stones and the Who and the other big-name world-wide bands until many years later.

troutbirder said...

Interesting. I'm more omnivorous and can listen to most anything except "rap." Ugh....... Ok I especially like country and folk. :)

Red said...

You listen to some cool music. You also have known some good bands that never made it. I find in music that I'm always about 30 year behind. If I live another thirty years I'll love today's music.

Marty said...

Just a general thanks for your blog. I fell behind in my reading and went back to see you last 3 entries.
I really enjoyed them. And Happy New Year!

Linda Reeder said...

What fun!
I like to listen to old music too.

Sam I Am...... said...

Ah....what great memories and what a great couple you are.

Unknown said...

Just found this post about my old band, The Unbelievable Uglies. Those were great days indeed, and I have fond memories of all our dances and shows, and the friends we made along the way. We are still around and keep in touch. Last year Greg and I went to South Dakota, where they inducted us into the SD Music Hall of Fame along with the Flippers and other bands. Thanks for the kind words and memories...Bob Eveslage

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Bob, Thank you for the comment and for the wonderful music memories!