Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Wistful Wednesday: Great Grandma

Everyone has a Great Grandmother…but how much do they really know about them…until it is too late to ask..or you were too little to ask the questions? Perhaps they have a photo or two…

1982 Tracie and Bethany 

This is Far Guy’s Grandmother Tracie and our niece Bethany in the summer of 1982.   Grandma would die the following April at the age of 87..she almost made it to 88 years of age before she got liver cancer and died shortly after the diagnosis in the hospital but before she made it to the “home.”  That in itself was worthy of a celebration.

Bethany our niece in the photo would have been about 18 months old if my math is correct.  The photo was taken in the summer at Grandma’s apartment in Park Rapids.  They are sitting in the big chair in the corner by the window.  The latch hookrug/wall hanging might have been a gift from someone( Far Guy’s Dad Marvin I think…and I think it covered the air conditioner) and the throw on the back of the chair looks like it came from Arizona where Grandma used to visit  her youngest son in the wintertime.  You can see the corner of an oak end table…which has been in our home since about 1983. I can see something that I had not thought about for a long time…an ice cream bucket with a crochet cover…I still have mine upstairs I keep crochet hooks and other odds and ends in it…Grandma must have made the cover for the buckets!  It was a useful gift especially since I still have mine.

 Blog Signature

15 comments:

Blogoratti said...

A wonderful photo and great thoughts indeed. Warm greetings to you!

Becki said...

Thank you for sharing the photo and your memories. I was especially tickled when you conveyed noticing the bucket with the crochet cover. I can imagine your delight in suddenly noticing that. :)

marlu said...

Such nice memories in the photo! Thanks for sharing.

DJan said...

I love your Wistful Wednesdays. I don't remember either of my great grandmothers and don't think I ever met them. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your, Connie. :-)

Pauline Persing said...

I never met my great grandmothers. So nice that you did. My grandchildren met my mother, their great grandmother. They called her "Grandma with the dolls" to distinguish her from the other grandmas. She had an extensive doll collection.

Anonymous said...

Nice photo filled with memories. At firsst I thought the pillos on the floor looked knitted, but I enlarged the pci and it lookis like they were decorated with wide rick-rack in colors to match the throw on the back of Tracie's chair. Stopping by to wish you and Nice Guy a Happy Thanksgiving good health, and many blessing throughout the holiday season.

Tired Teacher said...

Alll but one of my grandparents died before I was born. I've seen a few photos, but wish I had a chance to know them.

Karen said...

Those ice cream pails (as we call them) are handy things! We aren't restocking our supply any more, so I'm treasuring the ones I have. I turned the laptop to show Larry the picture and asked him if anything looked familiar. He said the blanket! Yes, we have/had the same one. I took a quick look and couldn't see it, so it may have been returned to the place whence it came. (The thrift store!) I also thought that Tracie had a look of Larry's mum and uncle, but Larry didn't quite see that ;-)

Rita said...

I never met my great-grandparents. I think a couple of them lived in Sweden. But I met all my grandparents. The one grandfather died when I was five but I do remember him. My dad's mother lived to be 104. The photos are a treasure!! :)

Red said...

Interesting how you take a photo and search for meaning.

L. D. said...

I have a scant few photos of my great grandma. It was a tough life for her as her husband died when my grandfather was three. She had the two boys and remarried a guy by the name of Thomas Jefferson Driver. She then had two girls and three boys, all half cousins to my mom. The two quilts that I have, that she made, will probably be valuable to only me. It makes for a lot of relatives out there that I really don't know. It is great you still have the crochet things.

Granny Marigold said...

You're so right about all the questions we could have asked our grandparents. Or even my own mother although she wasn't keen on remembering old times let alone talking about them.

Sallysmom said...

My great grandmother died when I was 5. I have been told you probably don't remember things from that young age but I do believe I remember her & her house.

Judy said...

It is amazing that you recognize so much in this photo.

Sam I Am...... said...

It sounds like she was loved and much appreciated in her life. I only hope that my grandchildren remember me long after I'm gone when they look at the things I have made them. If they keep them that is. To be fondly remembered is all I hope for. I pray no one celebrates like that song about the wicked witch! LOL!