Sunday, November 12, 2017

Recipe Report

It was an adventure in cooking this week.  Far Guy and I work pretty good in the kitchen together…he tends to read EVERY instruction and I tend to go with the flow …he measures and I do not. I irritate him more than he irritates me.

I hit the jackpot with my Kraft Food and Family Magazine for recipes this week. I subscribe to their magazine but many of their recipes can be found online.  As a disclaimer I receive no compensation from them.

First we made a root vegetable latke…with shredded potatoes, sweet potato and parsnip.  Far Guy gave it an 8 and I gave it a 7.  It was served with carrots and pan fried pork chops.

Root Vegetable Latke

Here is the comparison photo.  If I had left it under the broiler longer it would have been browner…or if I had smeared butter on the top!

The next night we worked together on BBQ Adobo Chicken.  Yummy… it even awakenedold people’s taste buds we didn’t know we had!  We both gave it a 10! 

BBQ chicken

It was a keeper recipe.  I modified it a bit. 

Combine 4 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/2 tsp garlic salt and 1/2 tsp cumin.  Cover your chicken with this mixture.  Heat oven to 400 place chicken on olive oil sprayed foil lined baking sheet.  Bake about 45 minutes ( for thighs) longer or shorter depending on your chicken pieces. Mix 3/4 cup Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce  and 1/4 cup ketsup.  Baste chicken and bake about 8 more minutes, flip, baste some more and then bake another 8 minutes. We like our chicken done but not dry…pull off the bone juicy is good.

This chicken was served with leftover root vegetable latke.

Finally I was the sous chef for Far Guy’s Adventure.  He made a Cheesy Sausage Frittata with Red Peppers.

I think he would just as soon have me be a silent sous chef in his kitchen.

Frittata

We gave it an 8 out of 10.  I will modify the recipe a bit…cut the eggs to four and we won’t have leftovers.  Chance liked it too.  This dish can be prepared the night before you need it for breakfast.  Or made in the afternoon and refrigerated until you bake if for supper cause it is a dark dreary cold day and you need a nap.

This frittata was served with fruit.

I have made recipe cards as requested, Far Guy said “Well are you going to keep that magazine forever or will the recipes we like be lost?”

Can you tell with the first bite and taste if you like something?   I can.  Far Guy has to have about four bites to make a decision...sometimes the food tastes better to him after a couple of bites.

Blog Signature

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The chicken sounds especially tasty. We have a tendency to eat the same things over and over. John is on no sugar/no salt and everything tastes so blah! You guys have a nice Sunday.

Sam I Am...... said...

Those recipes sound and look delicious and one that awakens the old taste buds? I've got make that one! Thanks for sharing. If you like moist chicken breast you need to try the Hellman's mayo recipe for parmesan encrusted chicken....so moist and good! I too really do not like dry chicken but on the other hand it needs to be cooked well too. I wish you could get chicken with bones....so much more flavorful but around here there are none unless you buy a whole chicken which I may resort to doing. It's probably cheaper that way too.

Shirley said...

I don't get very adventurous with cooking- I used to but Ted is a boring picky eater. The fanciest thing I make that he likes is Lasagne.
We do cook a lot of chicken, I might have to try that recipe. Ted might even like it if I don't tell him about the paprika and cumin.

Tired Teacher said...

Like my Mom, I clip recipes that sound/look good, but rarely make them. I have folders filled with recipes my Mom saved from old magazines 40+ years ago.

Karen said...

A book or magazine is worth it if you get ONE decent recipe out of it. Latkes are one of our options when there are no leftovers, no one feels like starting a meal, and it is getting late. The simplest version is grated white sweet potatoes and eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Cooked on the stove top in a cast iron pan or a griddle with lots of oil (usually coconut here). The oil amount and temperature needs to be right to get that perfect crispy edge, I'm a bit hit and miss with that, but great all the same.

Martha said...

Looks and sounds delicious! Now I'm hungry :)

Rita said...

Good for you guys! I tend to eat the same things way too much. I can tell in the first bite, too, if I don't like it. Takes me a few bites if it is something borderline passable and I can't decide--LOL! ;)

DJan said...

I have been thinking about doing a very easy Thanksgiving this year, maybe a rotisserie chicken from Costco and a couple cooked squash and a salad. It's just for the two of us, but your chicken sure looks good! Maybe I should make that. :-)

Granny Marigold said...

Your finished product looks like the photo something that rarely happens when I cook.

L. D. said...

We had meatloaf the other night. My wife was tired of hamburger things so she whipped up a great batch of meatloaf. I did the mash potatoes and we feasted. My wife is not a great root vegetable eater so your recipes would not work here.