Friday, August 21, 2009

Curiosity: Akhal-Teke

I have always been a curious person. Someone said "Curiosity killed the cat." It may have, but that doesn't stop my curiosity. If I weren't a curious sort..I would never learn anything new..I was one of those "Why" kids, and I never grew out of it. From time to time I will visit something or someone that I am curious about, and it will end up here on my blog.

I met this fancy-smancy horse about a year ago..so did Chance..he barked at her. She didn't look or seem real special. What was all the excitement about? Just another expensive hay burner. Then I found out more about her. She was causing quite a stir, people were coming from foreign countries to do some DNA testing. As it turns out she is an Akhal-Teke, a breed of horse originally from Turkmenistan and she is one of only 3,500 in the world, rumor has it that there are only 400 in the United States. Her name is strange and foreign it starts with an "M" ...she has a longer name too but I am lucky to remember "M."
Akhal-Tekes have a natural metallic bloom to their coats. Some shine or shimmer more than others. She could become a race horse or an endurance horse, her path is still unclear
"M" is very spoiled, her special feed is measured and weighed, she is feed at the same time twice a day. She has an owner, a trainer, and a stable hand. She has a pasture mate..Sandy..she is a real sweetheart. She is just around to keep "M" company, to keep an investment "happy."

They were both very curious about my camera, and me, and they were not a bit shy:)

14 comments:

Tami Weingartner said...

She is gorgeous!!!!!!!! Good thing she doesn't live around me....cause she would definitely go missing. LOL!

Rae said...

She is a beauty. What a lucky gal. I wish I had an owner, trainer, stable hand, and pasture mate. Whoa! - maybe I already do - I suppose that would be my husband.

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful markings and such a gorgeous coat.

RURAL said...

Ah the life of a princess. Truth in the saying that the most beautiful get preferential treatment.

Jen

Sandra said...

They do have pretty coats. Life as a princess isn't half bad!

Anonymous said...

How very interesting. Such a beautiful coat. They would have made me self-conscious with that look of theirs!!!

Gail said...

I want to hear how she got there!

Wonderful pictures.

lisa said...

She is a beauty, but I will stick to my everyday quarter-paint horse!

L. D. said...

We spent a long time in the horse barn at the fair. You definitely perked my wife's interest when I showed her your blog. It is neat that we can help to save this breed and people are willing to put money into the horse. I bet you will keep a closer eye on her now that you know the story.

Anonymous said...

What a beauty! And Sandy looks like the perfect playmate!

Emma Rose said...

I think they are both beautiful, but what an interesting story. I always learn something new when I read your blog! Thanks!

Kisses for Chance,
Emma Rose

Jan said...

She is beautiful!!!

Pamela said...

"Satisfaction brought it back."

That horse gets better care than I.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Wow, she is gorgeous! She has an Arabian build, so spirited, lithe, and springy. I so want to know more of her history and story.

~Lisa