Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wistful Wednesday : Relaxing

Today I picked a summertime photo of Far Guy's Grandparents H. They are in their yard at the farm, sharing a spot on the old buckboard seat. I love that Grandpa has his arm threaded through Grandma's arm, they are not holding hands but touching arms. Grandpas hat is barely visible on the left, he apparently took off his hat for the photo. I also looked at his feet, and wondered..Grandpa did you have a really thin pair of dress socks on? Or were you barefoot? He had been in the garden, or fixing a piece of machinery as his hands tell the story. Grandma's print dress and apron were probably a shade of blue or green..the patterns did not match.. she wasn't a matchy, matchy kind of person.. and didn't "put on the dog for anyone." This photo would have been very typical of how they looked on a warm summer day if you stopped by for a visit.

I first met them about the same time this photo was taken in the early 1960's. The old blue car
( I call it old..back then it was new.. I believe it was a 1963 Ford..bird egg blue) would pull into our farmyard. Grandma would get out and walk to the house with her egg cartons in hand, she was a regular egg customer. Grandpa would wait in the car for her. She always had something pleasant to say, she said that our eggs were the best.. and clean too! Grandpa..waited patiently for her ..or not so patiently..knowing family traits as well as I do now:)

11 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

I love the photo. They look content and happy to be taking a break.

Anonymous said...

What a sweet photograph Connie. It's odd to me how similar most of us are...this could just as easily be my grandparents that lived here in GA. The apron, grandpa's shoe and he wore those sheer, paper thin socks and my grandparents hardly ever showed affection in a picture. There is something comforting about the fact that all of us bloggers have similar memories/backgrounds etc. I guess that is what ties us all together as caring friends!

demainca said...

I noticed the shoes too. My grandpa only wore work boots except to church. Once home they came off and the boots were on again. Grandma always had on an apron and it does show us how we all have similar memories, wonder what our grandchildren will have of us?

Anonymous said...

What a charming, loving portrait!

hayseed said...

Very sweet photo-they look so content with each other.

Tami Weingartner said...

Button down dress and apron! Love it!

Rae said...

I clicked on the photo to enlarge it. They have that look of being comfortable together from knowing each other so well. As I looked at the photo I started to see resemblances between them. I have always heard that we start to look like our spouse after being married for many years. Maybe it is true. It is a sweet photograph with such lovely memories. I love these nostalgic posts of yours.

Diane said...

Why don't those old timers ever smile? All my great grandparents photos have the same unsmile.

Karen Anne said...

I haven't worn an apron in years. Why is it that our Moms and Grandmas wore aprons - more baking from scratch so there was flour everywhere? Nicer clothes as opposed to stuff that could just be thrown in the washer? Which reminds me, in my Grandma's time she got a new-fangled washer with a mangle, so maybe that's why, not everyone had a washing machine.

Or is it just me who doesn't wear aprons?

I don't recall anyone ever caring if an apron matched. They would have had to have a whole bunch of aprons instead of a few.

Stickhorsecowgirls said...

Reminds me of old photos I have of family members who have passed on. V.

Lanny said...

I so enjoy your old photos.