March 26, 2008
The Good Towels
Why do we have stuff that is too good to use?
My Mother had seven "good towels" in her bathroom, two not so good and one towel you could actually use folded neatly near the sink. Mom always had good towels. Shortly after they finished building the house at the lake she went towel shopping. She purchased a set of white with tiny pink and blue flowers...and proudly displayed them over the tub. I recall her dismay when they were used by some little boys who did a quick wash in the sink, quick enough to moisten all the dirt which in turn was deposited on her beautiful white towels.
I don't have any too good to use towels, I don't have any towels that could remotely be called a "set" of towels. You know the ones with a bath towel, hand towel and washcloth all of the same color or print. I have two categories of towels...light and dark. The last time I had a whole set was in 1969. I am still working on wearing out all those hand towels that we got as wedding gifts. The bath towels are long gone ...but those hand towels remain. Maybe one of these days I should make rags out of them and then go out and celebrate and get a matching set!
***********
I still don't have a good set of towels. All those hand towels made fine rags!
Too good to use...I use most everything I have. I do save a few blouses for good...not sure why...incase I need to dress up some day.
Far Side
I haven't bought a new towel innnn...years?? Wow...but when I did buy, they were made by Lennox. Great towels and last forever.
ReplyDeletehugs
Donna
A matched set of towels is a foreign concept in our household.
ReplyDeleteYou are so right! I do have some "too good" towels...and other things. But my everyday towels are a mishmash...some going back to the 70's. My problem is that I can't throw away a towel....no matter how threadbare or ragged it has become. I might need it for something, you know?!
ReplyDeleteI have been a hoarder of good memories and I have a lot of items in the house that remind me of good memories. No towels among them. I just sent James, a grandson three packages of things that remind me of him. I kept one reminder...the cup from the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles. When he visited there he bought the cup and sent it to me. Little, useful and easy to keep.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any sets either, unless you count the blue towels are all in one bathroom and the brown ones in another. LOL It must have been that generation, because my mother also had "good" towels. And good dishes, linens, and more. Things she considered "too pretty to use" went into a closet or drawer to save for a special occasion. And that's where we found them decades later after she died. She was horrified that I was using the pretty pillowcases that one of my grandmothers embroidered and the other tatted lace onto the edges. They were a wedding gift. I used them and remembered both my grandmothers every time. And I am currently using another set (hidden away in a cedar chest) on a guest bed.
ReplyDeleteNo sets here either, though I have purchased and gifted sets to family in the past. Never received any though. :)
ReplyDeleteAfter I retired, I got rid of all of my "work" clothes except for one pair of slacks and a jacket (not a suit). It's what I wear to funerals, which thankfully, haven't occurred frequently. I do have a few nice tops as well but have switched to dresses. At some point those tops will likely end up in a donation bin.
My mother had things that were given to her that were "too good to use". I don't. But I do have matched sets of towels. They were gifts. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt’s really a good plan to use what you have. I thought I had two good towels in my bathroom and told Fleta to use them when she showered. I bought them at Walmart and yes they were their cheapest ones. Evidently she buys thick, big, lush towels. She had the nerve to say…these are new towels but not good ones.
ReplyDeleteWhen we "did" the bathroom, I bought new towels. Nice towels and . . . We use them! I got rid of the 3rd class towels - all made into rags. And the 2nd class towels got donated. We only have six first class bath towels and use them. The dish towels were divided into trash pile, rag pile and donate pile - NO MORE GOOD DISH TOWELS. I bought a multi pack of first class terry cloth dish towels and that is that - so much more room in the drawer. I decided the time for nice is now. No more hoarding towels or sheets or anything. We have become USERS.
ReplyDeleteI love this. I use everything! Especially like the cross stitch pillowcases my aunt made for me. Once when I washed my hands in the bathroom at my brother's house my niece was horrified when I dried them on the "show" towels. She showed me the ragged towel behind the shower curtain where we are supposed to dry our hands. Nope, I went for the show towels.!
ReplyDeleteWe finally have a matching set here in the condo in the master bathroom. I bought them when we moved in. Two matching bath towel, two hand towels and two wash cloths. Our towels were from our wedding in 1978 and basically rags. I should probably buy a few more new ones for the camper. I have the castoff's in there.
ReplyDeleteWe just got home about an hour ago from our camping trip and I'm going to try to put up a post tomorrow.
Blessings and hugs,
Betsy