Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Hark! Back Issue #13

February 27, 2008 

Frozen Oranges

Gosh it has been years since I have thought about one of my favorite snacks...the good old frozen orange.  I would take an entire orange and throw it in the freezer, take it out an hour or two later, slice it in fourths and eat it...yummy.  Be really careful when cutting it, I would grab the biggest butcher knife I had, put the orange on a bread board and then work with the knife to get a good bite into the orange...those suckers are a little slippery when frozen...so again be careful. I injured a toe once when an orange went flying off the counter, perhaps you could actually peel the orange and freeze it in sections, or cut it in fourths before you freeze it...I am sure that would work too...I guess I like the novelty of freezing the whole orange.

Oh, how I miss the Florida tree ripened oranges...nothing compares...what we get up here in Minnesota resembles an orange...but you have never really lived unless you have had a Florida orange right off the tree.

Sometimes I miss living in Florida, the sunshine, the sand, the waves, 24 hour a day Bingo, fresh seafood and hush puppies.  Being asked if I would like grits with my breakfast (no thanks).  Going to a filling station, getting an all change and my tars checked.  Instead of toting my groceries around in a store I would use a buggy, Ya Reckon?  Where Goobers are peanuts and they sell the boiled kind, it is a taste I have yet to acquire.  I kinda like the idea of mashing buttons instead of potatoes.  Going to the Washateria down yonder dreckly.  Where soda is a pop, and a Coke is not a coke...it could be 7 UP or Pepsi (I like Coke and when someone asks me if I would like a Coke...I expect one).

Well I reckon that you as readers are hoping I am pert'near done...Y'all have a great day!

****

I still miss the Florida Oranges.

Far Side

14 comments:

  1. Love your southern accent!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Born and raised in the south and I still have never developed a taste for boiled peanuts. Others in my family ❤️ them! I could interpret and relate to most of what you said about FL. Coke is any kind of soft drink, although my preference is Diet Coke. We’re still in extreme heat indexes and all the stores are displaying fall and Christmas decor. Lawd just help me get through August! RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the oranges in Florida being much more tasty than the oranges that we get further north in Ohio and Minnesota. I have two sisters who live in Florida. In the old days Tom and I made a trip to Florida every spring, just in time for fresh oranges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife grew up knowing what good fruit tastes like. I, having grown up in Iowa, taste the fruit she rejects because it is "sour" and it just tastes like it always has. Then when I go back to Asia, I realize once more that fruit can be really sweet, even bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been fascinated by the different expressions in parts of this country. Lots of family from the south, so most of the ones you shared are familiar. Never heard of freezing oranges, but my husband freezes grapes. There is always a container of them for a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was cute. I have southern folk in my direct line --- so it all made sense

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing tastes better than produce from the source. I've never thought about a frozen orange, but the idea is tempting.
    I've been reading for a number of years, but had no idea that you once lived in Florida. I'm no judge but you clearly picked up some of the colloquialisms. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, am a Southener, born in Memphis and never ever liked boiled peanuts either.
    Y'all take care, now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you did a good job of covering up your northern language. I bet Florida is really crowded now, but probably not all of it. Doubt you missed the north winters while you lived there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this post throughly. I can so relate to many of the expression of your words. Here in Texas, we still refer to Dr. Pepper, Orange or Pepsi as a "Coke"... crazy isn't it. Dr. Pepper is my choice drink so I might say "I'm gonna try not to have any cokes today." The frozen orange is new to me.. I bet it's good..

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss California oranges off the tree. One thing that's very good is the pecan right off the tree. Dad picked them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your Florida memories!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie