For a very long time I have been wanting to do something with my wedding gown. It is 48 years old this year. It has been in several different boxes over the years, it finally ended up in the Cedar Chest upstairs.
I bought a pattern for a long baptismal gown for a baby several years ago. It has been on my “to do list.”
I finally took it out of hiding on May 31st.
It was very wrinkled. Far Guy said “shouldn’t you iron it?”
I will take a photo of it outside…maybe it will look better.
Nope still wrinkled. Well I wasn’t going to iron it just for a photo. After all I was going to throw it into the washer in cold water and hope it would hold together and not be just a bunch of unreconizable threads.
It worked…it held together..now into the dryer keeping my fingers crossed.
That worked too. Now to rip out some seams. I called Jo and said “Got a seam ripper?” She said “Sure what kind of trouble are you in now? I will be right over.”
We ripped out seams and pinned the pattern on that first afternoon and cut out all the pieces. The second afternoon we sewed some of it together. The third afternoon it was all done except for some by hand stitching. I finished the hand stitching yesterday! It was an adventure. Niether of us want to do a repeat anytime soon. Jo is a much better seamstress than I am.
It is a baptismal gown and a cap. I need to get blue ribbon to string in the cap for the ties instead of white. Far Guy hauled out the ironing board and I pressed the entire gown….my old iron is practically an antique but it worked well enough to get out the wrinkles!
The skirt of my gown was just perfect to make the skirt of the baptismal gown. I wanted an old fashioned look of a really long gown.
Hey Mikey your baptismal gown is all done on June 9 2017!
I am so glad this project is done. Many thanks to Jo for going along this sewing adventure with me!