Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Wistful Wednesday: Cousins

Cousins once removed or is twice or three times. How confusing can this cousin “stuff” be? 

I have been reading about it.  I finally had to print out a chart.

Take this photo for instance.

Mama and Papa from Laura

It is marked on the back…To Mama and Papa from Laura.   Now the Mama and Papa was Far Guy’s Great Grandparents Stuve and Laura would have been Far Guy’s Great Aunt (His Grandmother’s sister).  So if I have done my chart correctly the children in this photo are Third Cousins…I think.

I sent this photo to  a relative who might confirm the identity of these people.

I believe it is:

Front row left  Great Aunt Laura,  Ermin, Fern and Lula

Back Row left  Curtis, Uncle Clarence? and Roy ( Lauras first husband Clarence died  in 1920 at the age of 41 .) Sometime later she remarried a widower named Ben.  She ran a boarding house in Battle Creek Iowa to support her children.

Sometimes examples help me learn.

In Far Guy’s family

First Cousins share a Grandparent (Like Bonnie, Jay, Jack, Tom etc..)

Second Cousins share a Great Grandparent ( Like Orville, Earl etc…)

Third Cousins Share a Great Great Grandparent ..is that like your First Cousin’s Children too?

How about you can you shed any light on cousins ?  How about the removal part?  Is it the number of generations that separate you?

Blog Signature

13 comments:

DJan said...

You are not going to learn anything about that from me. I thought I was the one learning from you, Connie. I think you are right, though. My first cousins are the children of my parents' siblings, so it make sense that cousins once removed would be the children of the grandparents. It's so complicated!

Tired Teacher said...

I've yet to figure out the "removed" aspect of cousins. Sigh

Mac n' Janet said...

My first cousins are the children of my parent's siblings, so yes we share grandparents. My second cousins are their kids and my third cousins are their kids. I stay in touch with one second cousin and one third cousin. I have some first cousins I've never met. We're a far-flung family.

L. D. said...

My brother sent me a family tree branch that I really never researched. The branch is the family of my great grandmother of Ries on my grandfathers side. They are from Germany and there were large numbers of brothers and sisters. My newest find was the Abernathy side which was from Scotland and not England. Being a visual person, I really would like it all to be put up on one large piece of paper to get it organized, otherwise it gets too hard to hold on to it anymore.

Rita said...

I am absolutely no help at all. I only know about first cousins and am lost with the rest. Wonderful picture, though! :)

Melody said...

I'm not sure but this is what someone told me. Your first cousins would be the children of your aunts and uncles. The children of 1st cousins are 2nds cousins to each other and your 1st cousins children are your 1st cousins once removed. ???

Pauline Persing said...

If I want to figure out anything beyond first cousins I go to Google and ask for a chart. I don't plan to bother my brain with remembering who is who.

marlu said...

I believe Melody is correct!

Paula said...

I've never figured out this whole cousin thing. I just say cousins!!

Red said...

Interesting questions about cousins. I'll be watching to see what people say.

Granny Marigold said...

I think Melody has it right.

Sam I Am...... said...

I think children of cousins are once removed (2nd cousins) and the children of second cousins are 3rd removed and 3rd cousins but who keeps track? Only you, Connie! LOL!

Intense Guy said...

The term "removed" refers to the number of generations separating the cousins themselves. So your first cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your first cousin. Your second cousin once removed is the child (or parent) of your second cousin. And your first cousin twice removed is the grandchild (or grandparent) of your first cousin.