Friday, June 30, 2017

Marge

Far Guy’s God Mother Marge ( He calls her Aunt Marge) has been on our minds all Spring and now Summer.

She is fighting esophageal cancer and going through radiation.  Her kids who live many States away are taking turns caring for her. They fly in for a couple of weeks and then another flies in to take their turn.  They drive two hours to the radiation treatments and two hours back.  Marge says the treatment after she is inside the helmet and locked down takes just seconds.

We visited recently.  We all laughed and cried.  She wonders when it will all come to an end.  Far Guy said “We never know… God is in charge and when it is your time it is your time.”  Marge wonders what she could possibly do on this earth that would make a difference.  She is a Minister’s kid and her 92 year old brother is still doing vacancy preaching. Marge has a strong faith, she knows she is saved by Grace alone…she is ready.

Many years ago, Marge and her husband Orville gave us a couple of pots of a tall grass.  They said it will spread and it is impossible to kill so put it someplace where you don’t care if it takes over.  Since then we have called it Marge Grass. ( It is really a Miscanthus of some sort…not sure which one. )

All Spring the Marge Grass was struggling…as was Marge.  One day I told Far Guy “ I am worried about the Marge Grass and Marge I think it is a bad sign.”  He replied “I know…me too.”

Marge Grass June 29 2017 

Finally now in late June, the Marge Grass is coming along.  Marge completes four of her six week radiation regimen today.

Marge Grass

Here is The Marge Grass at it’s best in the Fall.

Marge never forgets our anniversary or Far Guy’s birthday, the phone rings and it is Marge.  She has graciously shared some of her husband’s family history with us. Orville’s Mother (Aunt Emma) was Far Guy’s Grandma Tracie’s sister. As a side note Orville had Trigeminal Neuralgia also and breathing problems which may or may not have been Alpha One Antitrypsin Deficiency.  Orville died back in 2005.

Marge will be 85 on her birthday in August.

Blog Signature

22 comments:

Shirley H. said...

I think the Marge Grass is lovely! I wonder if there is a genetic component to Trigeminal Neuralgia? I have this but don't think anyone else in my family has had it. It could be that it is related to the location of blood vessels or something like that? No one knows yet.

Anonymous said...

God bless Marge. The grass is lovely.

linda m said...

I will say a prayer for Marge and for her family.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Far Guy's Great Grandmother also had Trigeminal Neuralgia. We have asked if it is hereditary...the Doctors say usually not. Who really knows. The Great Grandmother who had it was G Gram Stuve. Mother to Emma and our Grandma Tracie.

Rita said...

Prayers for Marge.
The grass is looking good. :)

Anonymous said...

Marge sounds like a fairy godmother. Far Guy is lucky.
Best wishes to Marge.

Terry and Linda said...

My prayers are for Marge!

Saundra said...

My great grandmother, mother, sister, & myself all had (have) Trigeminal Neuralgia. My sister had brain surgery to correct hers. Mine's in remission. My neurologist thought there is a genetic link. "Aunt Marge" is so fortunate to have family to take care of her. May we all be so blessed. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Hi! Although I, myself, don’t have a blog, I enjoy reading others on a regular basis. I’ve been wanting to write you and let you know how much I enjoy yours. Since you write every day, it’s the first thing I go to, knowing something of interest will be there for me—family, crafts, the flowers and birds, Chance, the story of the flood on Wednesdays, the ancestry information, the photos you take and include, the weather in your neck of the woods, etc., etc.

Today’s post entitled “Marge” gave me the final nudge to let you know I’m out here reading you with much enjoyment. Since I am approaching my 80th birthday, I was blessed to read about Marge and her faith. Your and your husband’s love and care for those around you is so obvious. Thanks and God bless you both. -- Norma

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thank you Norma for your words of encouragement! Thanks for reading! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Saundra Thanks for reading. Every Neurologist has a different opinion. One told us that it could be hereditary with the shape of your skull. We have seen many Neurologists over the years and since TN is a Rare Disease not much is being done for research. I am so glad to hear that you are in remission. Far Guy was in remission once for about two months. :)

Granny Marigold said...

What a brave woman Aunt Marge is. Truly an inspiration for all of us getting older.

Karen said...

All the very best to Marge.

Red said...

All the best to Marge and her treatments. She may be ready to leave this scene but it's an awful way to go.

Henny Penny said...

I sure hope Marge gets well. She sounds like a good woman. That is a lot to go through.

The Furry Gnome said...

One of our friends passed away of cancer today. Two months after diagnosis. Far too young.

Shirley said...

Marge sounds like a strong woman, may God bless her always.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am sorry for your loss, good friends are hard to find :(

Linda Reeder said...

Esophageal cancer is a bad one. It took Tom's father from us at age 75. There have been improvements in treatment since then. Sending all good wishes to Marge, and her grass.

Sam I Am...... said...

I pray Marge grows strong just like the beautiful grass she gave you and if not I pray she has an easy time and does not suffer....that's all anyone can ask. I'm so glad she has her faith as I don't know where I would be without mine!

DJan said...

I hope she continues to recover and that the Marge grass will be abundant, too. :-)

Terra said...

How good your Marge Grass is thriving, and I hope your own Marge will have great success in her treatments.