Saturday, June 24, 2017

Cool Spell

We struggled to get to 60F yesterday or 15C eh! Today and tomorrow we may not even get that warm.

How cool is it?  Cool enough to feel guilty that some people are suffering in the heat.  Cool enough for comfort food, I hardly ever fix a roast with potatoes and gravy in the summer…baked carrots too.   Cool enough that Far Guy retreated to the woodshop/greenhouse to carve.  I carved outside on the patio…my goal is to carve one Christmas ornament a day...it was chilly but I had a coat on.  The house was toasty warm and smelling good from the roast in the oven when I came back inside.

This is May weather not June.  It hardly seems fair, this should be sit outside in the evening weather and enjoy the long daylight hours…not many bugs yet…

My peony

My Peony finally bloomed.

Heads so heavy

My light pink one is a napping variety.  The heads are so heavy they bend over and bloom. What… never heard of a napping variety…ever been so sleepy it is hard to hold your big old head up?

Blog Signature

16 comments:

Cynthia said...

Such beautiful peonies, I can almost smell them. Jealous of your cool weather! Summer is definitely in full swing in South Carolina!

DJan said...

That is cold all right, for summer weather in Minnesota. Strange weather all across the world these days. I'd rather have it too cold than too hot, though. :-)

Pauline Persing said...

The peonies are lovely. We're having a cool day today, not as cool as yours. The rain from the tropical storm Cindy blew up to see us yesterday. We had rain all day. It's sunnry today but will only be in the low 70s. A little low for this time of year.

Mac n' Janet said...

I envy you the cool/cold weather. I wouldn't want a lot of it, but I sure could use a break from the heat.

Linda said...

I think I have a napping peony....I never knew that is what they were called :) but it fits!

Linda W. said...

Pretty flowers! Be glad for the cool temps - I'd take them right now. We're supposed to hit 100 degrees in Portland today, which is extremely hot for the PNW.

Rita said...

That had to be the kind my grandmother had--all the blooms on or near the ground but it looked healthy as can be. Thanks. I never knew there were different varieties in that way.

I am LOVING the cooler weather! :)

Shirley said...

My peony naps too, it's also light pink. It is a little slow this year as I transplanted it here to our new place last fall.
We are facing a heat wave, straight sun for the next week or so and 33 Celsius tomorrow, which is August weather, not June! It sure is an interesting weather year.

Karen said...

All my peonies were the napping variety this year. Too much water in the blossoms.

Granny Marigold said...

That napping Peony is the most delicate colour of pink! Her beauty makes up for her weak stems. I have one the colour of the dark pink one and also a white one. I have to have wire cages around them so they don't flop.

KH said...

I thought that you are such a keen observer of wildlife that you might like this very short one about loon families: http://nature365.tv/june-24-2017/

Red said...

You'll enjoy the warm weather that much more because you've gone through a cool period.

The Furry Gnome said...

We've got some of those napping peonies too!

Linda Reeder said...

We are sitting inside this evening because it's too hot outside! NOT Seattle weather.

Anonymous said...

Pretty peony blooms. We are very hot/muggy with lots of rain/thunderstorms.

L. D. said...

I finally dug my white peony and planted it in my new yard. It seems like it takes forever to get new starts to bloom but maybe it will a least stay alive for me. I won't have all the varieties that I had before but I do reach a point of it is impossible to move it all. I did dig a yucca plant also last week. I have yet to plant it.