Monday, June 5, 2017

Fish is whats for dinner

We enjoyed one evening out on the dock watching a Great Blue Heron fish for his supper.

Dinner one

The Heron is a patient hunter, he cocks his head from side to side and just before he plunges his head into the water to stab a fish he wiggles his butt.

Dinner two

He struggled to get this fish in his mouth…think food stuck on your fork.

Dinner three

I have heard that if they try for too big of a fish they can choke as they swallow their food whole.

Down the hatch

He was fun to watch.

Many years ago at my parents lake place we watched one hunting Chipmunks in the yard.  The Heron would stand real still on one foot and wait for a chippy to run by…I suppose a chippy was an appetizer before the main meal of fish.

Blog Signature

13 comments:

Cynthia said...

Yum, sushi! Never knew they would eat a chipmunk.

linda m said...

They are such interesting birds to watch. Don't think I have ever seen them go for a chipmunk tho.

DJan said...

They are magnificent birds. I didn't know they eat chipmunks either. Learn something every day. :-)

Shirley said...

Such a cool looking bird! We have a little lake at our border crossing, and one day I was stuck in the line up and was watching a blue heron stalking it's prey- I swear it was moving faster than the line up!

Rita said...

I never knew they would eat a chipmunk!!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I don't think I could watch if I saw a heron choking on a whole fish! Chipmunks, though...learned something new.

Karen said...

I am imagining that hairy chipmunk squirming in it's gullet, yuk! I've seen one of our chickens eat a dead mouse, or maybe it was a shrew, and it went down whole too. There were a few tense moments though....

Red said...

You have to be as patient as the heron to see this action. It's well worTH waiting for.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

When we lived on the VA eastern shore we visited the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge and I watched many great blue and little blue herons dine this way.

Granny Marigold said...

I did not know that a Heron would go after a chipmunk. I've often watched a Heron at the lake but never seen him catch and eat anything!

Linda Reeder said...

They are expert fishers, and fun to watch. Now, watching them catch chipmunks? That would be fascinating, and sad too.

Lady Fi said...

Wow - great shots!

Sam I Am...... said...

Amazing! I had no idea they could choke but it's understandable if they swallow the fish whole. You better bone up on your Heimlich maneuver just in case! LOL!