Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Lily

Here is Far Guy’s latest woodcarving project.  The whole thing took him about 100 hours.

 The pieces

The base, the wooden circle is just a temporary stamen holder, leaves and the flower.

It is carved from Basswood, I wish I had taken a photo of the chunks of wood he started with.   The chunks he started with were huge in order to get the curve of the petals.  The actual flower was done with two pieces ( three petals each) that eventually fit together, I think he worked a whole afternoon fitting the petals together so they would seem like they belonged to one flower.  He had no pattern…so he designed it and carved it by trial and error.

Carving ready to paint

He put it together….and asked me to paint it for him.

Finished carving

I worked on it one evening and one afternoon.  The base is a piece of Black Walnut.

Is it real

He picked the design and together we picked the paint colors.  He was hovering like an expectant father as I was painting….and mostly smiling!

I am pleased with it.  Far Guy is really happy with it. 

Now we are both carving on Christmas Ornaments.

Blog Signature

29 comments:

Shirley H. said...

Beautiful work by both of you.

Jean M. said...

Gorgeous! Opening an Etsy shop soon?

linda m said...

That is absolutely gorgeous. Tell Far Guy he did an excellent job with the carving. The color are perfect.

Cynthia said...

Wow, it's gorgeous. You two make a good team. My dad specialized in sunflowers.

DJan said...

It is so beautiful! You are both such talented people it amazes me. Thanks for letting me know how much time it took to do something like this, I would never have been able to guess. :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how exquisite! You two are amazing.

Blogoratti said...

Splendid and very creative work indeed.

Jenn Jilks said...

That is just jaw droppingly beautiful! What a team!

Pauline Persing said...

Beautiful. My favorite of the flowers Gene and you have done. Though I think I remember a trillium I really liked, too.

Tired Teacher said...

I'd be smiling, too - it's beautiful!

KCD said...

That one ought to be entered in the State Fair, it would win a ribbon for sure.

Mac n' Janet said...

I like this one even better than the last one, the colors are perfect.

Rita said...

Exquisite!! You two make a fantastic team. FarGuy is so talented to be able to "see" this in pieces of wood. Then you brought it to life with color. I am amazed at the both of you.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

I have no ability whatsoever when it comes to the sort of thing you are doing together; you are blessed to be able to do this. The lily is gorgeous

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Lily! I like the base GF chose and your colors are wonderful. It's fun to read about your teamwork, too.

Shirley said...

I agree!

Shirley said...

It really does look real! And I like the nice curved lines in the base that match the curve of the petals. Well done!

Anonymous said...

It is just beautiful

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You are both so talented, what a wonderful carving and it looks so alive.
Joy

Anonymous said...

That should be FG, not GF.

Red said...

Fantastic! I can almost smell this flower!

Paula said...

Oh my goodness. This is beautiful. And it looks just like the star-gazers in my flower bed! Very, very nice!

Linda Reeder said...

Oh, so beautiful! What skill!

diane in northern wis said...

Oh my gosh.... that lily is absolutely beautiful....in shape....in design....in color. Wow. You guys are really pros at this wood carving stuff. He should make more and sell them! Super good job! You should both be proud.

Granny Marigold said...

What a great job Far Guy did in carving the Lily and you in painting it. It looks so realistic.

Karen said...

Wow, you two make quite a team. Excellent job, both of you. A labour of love, for sure!

Sam I Am...... said...

Absolutely unbelievable talent you both have! Gorgeous!

Leah said...

Beautiful - I can just picture Far Guy watching over you as you are painting :)

marlu said...


Wonderful talents.