Saturday, November 29, 2014

Thanksgiving Dinner Report

We went to Jen and Andy’s home up north for Thanksgiving dinner.  It was –21 F or –29 C eh that morning…just a tad chilly.

Dinner table

I have eaten just a few dinners off this China.  It belonged to Far Guy’s Mom, when they moved into the apartment and had an auction sale I purchased a four piece place setting…later when Far Guys Mom moved from the apartment to the nursing home Jen was gifted with the rest of the set.

Andy’s brother Carl and sister in law Roberta were there with their son Arthur.

Adam and Arthur

A big boy and a little boy.  Arthur would hit the chair, then Adam would do the same thing and Arthur would collapse in giggles. It must have been a boy thing.

Where did Adam go

Where did the big boy go?  Adam is in the computer room…he escaped.

We had a lovely dinner.  Smoked turkey, au gratin potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, the best homemade crescent rolls ever, corn, green beans, a cool whip green apple snickers salad, various pickles and olives, a wonderful Champagne and pumpkin or apple pie and pumpkin bread. 

Afterwards the menfolk did the dishes and we let them…we were out numbered anyway 3 to 6.

We watched a crazy movie called A Million Ways To Die In The West,  I had a nap and then we headed home before it began to snow. 

Blog Signature

Remember to place your guess to be in the drawing for the Christmas Ornament!

21 comments:

Cynthia said...

Beautiful table, and so nice to enjoy holidays with heirloom china. It's like having a bit of Grandma and Grandpa still with us.

DJan said...

Such a nice Thanksgiving dinner you had. And I'll bet the little one helped clean up, too. That sure sounded like a good meal, except for the cool whip green apple snickers salad. Wha? :-)

linda m said...

Sounds like the perfect Thanksgiving dinner!

Karen said...

I'd like to see the recipe for that salad, it just sounds so......weird?:) Fun to have the little one around. Glad you had such a nice time and meal.

Linda W. said...

Your last photo of the little guy looking at his reflection is really cute!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Granny Smith Apples peeled and sliced into small pieces, Snickers Candy Bars chopped into small pieces, add a container of cool whip. I used four apples and a bag of small snickers and a 8 oz container of cool whip. You can also used fresh whipping cream!

Primitive Stars said...

Morning, I am loving that table setting, beautiful. Looks like a great Thanksgiving Connie. Blessings Francine.

Nancy said...

Sounds like an ideal holiday gathering. I love that the men did the dishes!

Why don't we use the "good" dishes more often? My mother's China was rarely used, and mine continues to collect dust.

Terry and Linda said...

Your table was just lovely! I enjoyed the 'boys'. How fun that was!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/?s=The+Adventures+of+Fuzzy+and+Boomer&submit=Search
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

Dreaming said...

I'm thinking that being together warms things from the heart out!

Wendy said...

I think a ladyslipper flower

Sam I Am...... said...

What a wonderful Thanksgiving you had and what a gorgeous table! I have my Mother's beautiful china but I have never used it. I have my own set that I got when the kids were little by buying groceries at Jewel Tea Co. I love them! LOL! Your Thanksgiving sounded perfect! (and fair I might add!)

Red said...

You're colder than we are eh? You're going to get some more snow and cold. We had about 30 cm (12 in) . And thanksgiving was very good.

Anonymous said...

You know I love that china. Sounds like a good time and glad you are home safely now.

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos glad all had a nice Thanksgiving ! -29C chilly ? that's frigging cold to us here in Ontario eh lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

troutbirder said...

Very nice. I love the traditional dinner. Unfortunately we both had bad colds and I persuaded Barb to cancel the event for the company expected from the Cities. Plan B was Mac and Cheese along with pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. We survived....;)

Jacqi Stevens said...

How sweet that Jen served Thanksgiving dinner on her grandmother's china! A special remembrance during such a family time as this holiday. Sounds like you had a lovely time--and, thankfully, a safe trip.

Linda Reeder said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and good food!

LindaG said...

Yup. Sounds like a wonderful Thanksgiving. Glad you got home safely!

Joan said...

Wait a minute - where's the grape salad that is supposed to be the quintessential Minnesota dish according to the New York Times? Sounds like you had a wonderful time and you didn't even have to do the dishes.

Rita said...

Sounds like a typical midwestern Thanksgiving dinner--yumm!
I saw that silly movie. Crazy is a good description, too--LOL! Lots of swearing, that's for sure, but did have parts that made me laugh.
Looks like beautiful china. Was very cold. I hope the roads were good for you. :)