In a moment of boredom I decided to dust the cookbook shelves. Yes I have two plus an overflow.
This was a cookbook that one of Far Guy's old girlfriends gaveMany pages were falling out. I will be able to have the best used pages for a long time now that they are on the blog.
My original Pumpkin Bread recipe from Joyce. She used to make it for her Grands and so now I make it for mine. There is a Gluten Free option...take and mix everything up except the flour. Then take 3 1/2 plus 1/3 cup cups of the 7 2/3 cups and then add your gluten free flour a bit more than 1 1/2 cups. I used half the recipe for my Dad and I always put the batter in cupcake liners (bake about 20 minutes) so he could put some in the freezer and take them out as he wanted them. Note I use a whole can of pumpkin:)My Ginger Snap tried and true recipe...not sure who I got it from.
Recipe from my Maternal Grandmother Drewes...I think she gave it to me over the phone one day when I had ample cucumbers and dill. These are by far my favorite pickles...either sliced or as spears...I prefer the sliced:) This is the goup that you cook up to pour over the prepared jars filled with a head of dill on the bottom and filled to the neck of the jar with cucumbers. Grandma never processed the pickles...she said they had enough vinegar to kill germs. She had to think about the recipe a bit...hence the crossed out parts. Oh yes I recall a slice of onion at the bottom of the jar!
And these are going along to Book Club for an exchange. We meet in person one time a year.
Six recipe books out and no more coming in...now I do not have an overflow problem!Nice day on Wednesday. I took care of some weeds in the rocks and on the patio.
Minnesota Weather: High 78F or 26C Low 58F or 14C
What's Cooking? Ribs in the crockpot, corn on the cob and yellow pear tomatoes...perfect! We would have had Green Beans but there was a Green Bean incident...one should not leave beans cooking on the stove and take a couple of phone calls and be off in la la land:(
Far Side
I have a cook book that was my mothers, falling apart but still useful, it must be at least 75 years old!
ReplyDeleteI love cookbooks!!! I have a collection of over 100! Problem is, I HATE to cook so most of the collection is in pretty good shape. Don't worry, I won't send them to you!
ReplyDeleteAlthough I do process dills for I think 10 minutes or so, I have always done it just to soften the other things I add like onion and green peppers. With my dills, I have never processed them. I just heat up the liquid to boiling, ladle it over the cucumbers in the jars and seal them up. I've never had issues with bacteria. I just two quarts of cucumbers and two pints of okra this morning!
ReplyDeleteOur cookbooks and recipes are something that need attention. Like you, we have several shelves of books and a huge tin recipe box full of recipes that span back four generations. What I miss most when I go back through them are finding old recipes that I so enjoyed but haven't made it decades. I would really like to make an effort to bring some of those back into rotation again but haven't had the time to sit down and really look through it all.
My cookbook shelf is overflowing too, even though I cleaned out a few last year. Taking them to your book club is a good idea. I also have a little basket full of paper with recipes printed or written on them mostly that I want to try out. Why do I do that? My husband is such a picky eater that it's a waste of time to try new recipes. LOL
ReplyDeleteWe had green beans and the first cob corn last evening. More planned for supper today. I set a loud timer for any veg I boil or I end up, as you describe, with overboil. I once turned the pan on with no water in it and JG has never let me forget it. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteThat is almost exactly our ginger cookie recipe. Works beautifully.
Oh, to add. We never got my grandmother's sweet pickle recipe right because it said add salt "to taste". When we questioned this, she added, "'till it tastes salty enough". Sigh.
ReplyDeleteI did the la-la land thing with my humming bird water. Had to throw out the pot. What a mess
ReplyDeleteI reduced my cookbooks shortly after retiring but still have a shelf full. However I really only use them at Christmas as I have a number of faves. These days I'm more likely to turn to Allrecipes dot com if I'm looking for a recipe. Kind of sad when you think about it.
ReplyDeleteWe, too, have more recipes and cookbooks than we can ever use up.
ReplyDeleteYears ago my dear MIL called me to ask what was in a certain recipe because her 1954 Joy of Cooking had fallen apart and was missing a lot of pages. Mother's Day was coming up and I decided to get her a new Joy of Cooking. In looking, I spied a duplicate copy of her 1954 edition on eBay and knew in an instant that she needed the very edition she knew so well. The seller in CA was delighted to bring joy to my MIL and said her own mother would be so pleased, too. I'm sure I heard my MIL's happiness as she unwrapped her new copy of her old cookbook. She was crying happy tears when she called to thank us.
Thank you for sharing your treasures. I like pumpkin bread in the winter. I will try yours. Old girlfriends aren’t all bad.lol
ReplyDeleteCrockpot meals are good. I use the crockpot a lot. I don’t have an air fryer. I have too many extra stuff now. Instant pot for one I use it boiling eggs. Mixer, blender, I gave my food processor away. I love the crockpot. Is simple. Old ones are the best.
Old recipies are treasures! Mine is the Purity Flour cookbook; pages torn, worn, yellowed and stained from about 60 years of use.
ReplyDeleteMostly I bake for myself unless it is cookies. Ted loves cookies.
I love those handwritten recipes. I have ones from my Mom and of course, Dennis's Mom. I got rid of lots and lots of cookbooks when we sold our house in Spokane. Now I wish I had kept a few of them. We had leftovers of the chicken spaghetti tonight. Yum!
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Betsy
I do have a cookbook problem. It is inherited. I don't just have my cookbooks. My grandmother used to order the community cookbooks from all over the country featured in Yankee Magazine every month. And she would pick up the cookbooks sold at lunch counters at all the restaurants inside department stores. I can't part with any. Show me a church cookbook and I will show you the cash, lol.
ReplyDeleteOh Dear! Too bad about the green beans.
ReplyDelete