Saturday, August 15, 2026

Caterpillar

 I was very surprised to see a Monarch Caterpillar on the Milkweed, butterflies of any kind are few and far between this year. 

Friday was a busy day for me.  I had a list in my head of the most important things to do and I got most of them accomplished.   Just usual stuff that had piled up; My baby brother brought me more green beans...they were cooked correctly, cooled and vacuum sealed.  Pineapple was cleaned and chopped up.  Linens were changed and blankets that we use daily were washed and dried.  I cleaned the vacuum cleaner ...now the parts on are the kitchen counter drying.  
Far Guy did some wood carving.  

What's cooking?  Brats, corn on the cob and tomatoes.  I had a baked sweet potato...Far Guy does not care for them.

Minnesota weather:  High 83 F or 28C      Low 66F or 19C

Far Side


16 comments:

  1. Back in my youth, you could find milk weed everywhere but then farmers did such a good job of cleaning their fields of weeds, it nearly disappeared as did, we learned later, the monarch butterfly. These days, we have intentionally planted milk weed and other butterfly friendly plants over old farmstead sites where the building used to be and can't be farmed in hopes of correcting some of our past wrongs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butterflies here have been few also this summer. We have lots of milkweed so hopefully the monarchs will show up on their fall migration to Mexico. RHill, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have milkweed around here much so we don't see Monarchs either. How fun to actually see the caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's awesome to see the monarch caterpillar. We don't see them often here. I haven't noticed a huge amount of any butterflies, but there are some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had LOTs of Monarchs, but seen very few caterpillars on the milkweed. Same thing happened last year

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't noticed as many butterflies around here this summer either. It's probably too hot for them too. You got a lot accomplished. Not me. I sat around in the AC and dreading my colonoscopy next week. Ha! Ha!
    Blessings and hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice find! Definitely less winged wonders fluttering about this year. I have seen a few Monarchs lately. No Fritillaries to date.

    You did have a busy day and got a lot done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terry doesn't like Sweet potatoes. But I sure do. I love summer-time food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to have a Monarch Caterpillar! We don't have them here.
    ,
    .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Caterpillars and butterflies seem to be rare sights around here except for the white Cabbage ones. Our beans didn't do well this year but there are enough for a small pot of soup for tonight's supper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love sweet potatoes. They can make a meal for me.

    Less butterflies yearly. Sad.

    You must be a very good housekeeper. I’m a slob.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you. I love sweet potatoes...and the Mister does not. How sweet that you have a Monarch in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That usual stuff is a killer. It's hard to keep on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Productive Day! I did two things on my list today and thought I was really rocking.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't noticed many here, but I have a large field of them. I didn't look closely there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LD....I haven't had a good brats for years. I stopped doing the sweet potato because my wife doesn't like them and they have too much sugar for me now.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate your comments! If you have a question I will try to answer it here. I no longer accept anonymous comments. All comments will be approved before posting...due to spammers...may the fleas of a thousand camels infest every hair on his body. Connie