Sunday, June 26, 2022

Stormy NIght and Moths

 We had a very stormy Friday night, the phones went off with Tornado warnings.  It blew and rained really hard, we got about 1 1/2 inches of rain, actually my rain gauge said 2 inches of rain but my brothers say we didn't get that much and my gauge is faulty ( It probably comes off the roof somewhat) 

We have leaves and twigs in the yard, my brothers both had trees that blew down.  

Most of the twigs will get chopped up by the lawn mower.  I picked up some of the larger branches. 

We had some interesting moths. 


A female Automeris IO Moth...she probably laid all her eggs and came to the wreath outside our door to die.  They only live a couple of weeks.

We had a bunch of these white moths...I killed most of them...this is the only one that escaped ...then I found out that white moths are a sign of good luck. 


I think it may be a Virginia Tiger Moth but I am not certain. 

After the storms our weather turned cool again.   It may have gotten up to 70 F yesterday...it was delightfully cool and windy. 

Far Side


19 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I’m longing for your cool breeze and if only I could spy a pretty moth today I’d smile.

Val Ewing said...

Ohhhh what great moth photos!
It rained all day here and now it is nice and cool!

Such a nice break.

www.self-sufficientsam.blogspot.com said...

The automeris is the prettiest I've ever seen. No wonder we don't see them if they only live 2 weeks! The white one is beautiful too....like a snow queen. I wonder how many years of bad luck you'll have...how many did you kill?

Maebeme said...

We had tornado warnings on Friday evening too. There was a small one that dropped near a small town, but I haven't heard of any real damage. Not good when the wind takes down trees!

The moths are interesting, the first is incredibly pretty and the white one, while it may bring good look, looks a little creepy.

Jenn Jilks said...

We're having lots of heat. I'd rather we didn't!
(ツ) from Cottage Country , ON, Canada!

Dawn said...

Beautiful moths. I like temps in the 70s myself.

Rita said...

Sorry both your brothers had trees down.
I've never seen either of those moths. Both are pretty in their own way.
The cooler weather is glorious! :)

Red said...

Glad your safe and with little damage.

Sara said...

We are enjoying that cooler weather here too, both yesterday and today. Yesterday was very windy and in the mid-70s. I kept my jacket on at granddaughter's softball tournament as that wind was chilly. But I have NO complaints because it will be hot and humid again soon enough.

Linda Reeder said...

Cleaning up storm mess is a bother, but better than storm damage.
We finally got heat here, too much at once, but it will be short lived and we'll be back to coolness soon. Then some of us will complain about that.
I hope the bad luck doesn't find you, you moth killer. :-)

Granny Marigold said...

Good thing you didn't kill ALL those white moths!! That other one is quite pretty.
I heard about that storm. My sister sent a picture of a weird cloud formation that could have become a tornado ( but luckily didn't).

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Nice looking moths, I only see boring little grey ones here

The Great Ethan Allen said...

We used to have IO moths in Michigan all the time. Rarely we would get one of the Giant Silk moths. But the IO's were so pretty and more frequent.

L. D. said...

That yellow moth is really amazing. I don't think I have ever seen one before now. We get rain too but not much to measure.

At Home In New Zealand said...

Spectacular moths, almost as pretty as butterflies!

DJan said...

I am waiting for your blustery weather to make it here and cool us off. Yesterday I could barely tolerate the heat midday, all the way up to 85°F. Tomorrow should be windy and cooler, your weather. Love the moth pics.

aurora said...

Cool moth finds!!

Victoria Zigler said...

Sounds like the storm was welcome to give you a break from the heat, even if it caused a fair bit of mess for you to clean up.

Cynthia said...

Those is moths are so dramatic. They must have a wide range as I’ve had them in Minnesota and down here in SC, too.