Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year Arrives

We had a quiet evening at home. We watched the New Year begin, some big ball dropped someplace..New Orleans maybe. I was in the tub, playing splash the water at Chance, I can see the television while soaking my weary body in the tub. Chance loves it when I splash water at him..he smiles! He is my faithful companion every night and waits for me to get out of the tub so he can lick the water from my toes. When I say "Thank you Chance, you did a great job! " He quits..I am rather ticklish. Far Guy hollered "Happy New Year Honey!" Thus began our New Year.

Years ago we used to go out, we are too old for that stuff anymore. The best New Year Eves that I can recall were when our girls were almost teens and we would go to the Church for the evening, and play board and card games with other young families. A safe place to share some fun and we would all be safely home before midnight. For a number of years I was stuck working every New Years Eve, Far Guy would be at home with the girls and I would be stuck with the crowd that thought the only reasonable way to usher in the New Year was with a drink in one hand, at a Black Jack table. After the Bar closed, I would have to take my totally sober working self through the streets of Fargo and Moorhead watching for drunk drivers. So I guess you could say we have run the gauntlet of New Years Eve Celebrations..I prefer the quiet evenings at home.

There were some fireworks out here in the boonies. Shortly before midnight they could be seen. Scared the crap out of Chance, it must have been some idiot down on the lake or maybe my nephew.

Rumor has it that it was 35 below zero in these parts yesterday morning..I can only verify that our thermometer showed 25 below. Colder than a witches titty on the shady side of an iceberg:)

8 comments:

flydragon said...

25 BELOW!!!! jeeze I thought it was cold here. I must becoming more of a sissy than I realized. As was normal, I went to sleep about 11:00 and missed all the hoopla again. My days of celebrating on New Year's Eve have been long gone so I guess that means I'm an old sissy:)

Mary said...

BRRRR! Your celebration sounds nearly as wild as mine. A movie and to bed at 11:30 with reading until someone, somewhere was out of fireworks.
Happy New Year. I look forward to your witty and plain-spoken posts in this new year. Mary

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Oh a soak in the tub...a relaxing way for the New Year to arrive!
Renewed all of your aging muscles didn't it? Bet you jumped out feeling 20 years younger...??
Me, I'd have fallen flat on my face after I lost my ol' footing..threw a robe on, grabbed the Naproxen, fall into the sheets and say...
.."Whew...what a ride! Do I have to go through this another year???"
Our welcoming of the NY...Cowboy was asleep, woke and saw me here at the computer...I turned my head as he headed for the kitchen and said.."Happy New Year Hon!" He grunted..."OK.."
Exciting, eh?

Jewel said...

BRRRR----We had a quiet evening at home, I babysat a granddaughter. I've never gone out and partied. Is that sad?

Unknown said...

We drove an hour away to our friends party. Good food and fellowship. Left there at 11 pm for home. Got pulled over by State Police. They said we were speeding. Didn't know we were. He ran our registration and liscense and let us go with a warning. I think he was getting anxious for the drunks to start out. Jumped the gun would be my guess. No fine, so I'm fine with it.
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Brrr .. that is too cold! It was minus 14 C this morning, and I've frozen off half my face! Dog seems to like it though!

I see in the New Year from my bed - the fireworks woke me up and I managed to open my eyes for a few minutes before dozing off again!

Anonymous said...

If we didn't have young neighbors, I would not have known it was New Year's Eve! Their backyard celebration woke me up long enough to see the clock and know it was a new year!

Jan said...

Sounds like my New Year's Eve except we aren't quite that cold. How do you survive the winter? I thought Michigan was bad!