Friday, March 23, 2018

Bark Houses

The carving group is carving ducks…a Pintail I think.  There are about five of us that are still doing our own thing.

The carvers always say “Whatcha working on ?  Those little houses again?”  If I am not working on some kind of Christmas Ornament then I am carving with bark.

Yes I like to carve cottonwood bark, it is easy to carve and my arthritic hands don’t mind it at all.

lots of little houses

I work on these little houses and when I get them so far then I drill the holes for the windows and door.  Soon I will take a small file and clean up the windows…maybe make some different shaped windows.  After that I will paint them.

Truth be told I have a whole box full of finished houses upstairs…they might be Christmas Ornaments again some year…who really knows. A few of these new designs will go to the winners of the Snow Stick contest IF and when our snow melts.

No two bark houses are ever alike with me…you have to let the wood speak to you.

This is what I start with.

Little houses

The two bark pieces in the middle will be houses someday.

Blog Signature

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The houses are so cute. My late mother would have loved these - she was fascinated with tiny houses with little windows.

Val Ewing said...

These are amazing! I love them! I wished I had a tiny bit of your talent!
Would you sell any? ;)

linda m said...

Those little houses are so cute. I keep expecting to see little dwarfs coming out of the door. Have a great weekend. Hoping it doesn't snow.

Tired Teacher said...

They are adorable and must be great fun to carve. Sadly, my snow stick date has come and gone.

thecrazysheeplady said...

Really cool! Could you do a post with some start to finish pictures to show how you decide what goes where...?

L. D. said...

Their shapes do determine what they become. The are really fun and you do a great job on them.

Bonnie said...

I love these! They really get my imagination going thinking about the tiny characters that would live in them!

Terry and Linda said...

Neat! You are very multi-talented

Rita said...

Your little houses are so cute! :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sure ...in a few days:)

DJan said...

I so enjoy learning about your talents, and how you decide what to do with these pieces. Those arthritic hands are never still, it seems. :-)

Linda Reeder said...

I admire your creativity. My snow stick date is still a ways off, so I have hope that I might be honored to receive one of your creations.

Red said...

I guess I won't be winning a house as my guess was Mar.21 and you wouldn't let me have too guesses!!!

marlu said...

So creative! They are also cute!

Jacqi Stevens said...

I was wondering how your hands were taking all this carving--actually, more like your wrist. Do you think you've snapped back after surgery?

Pauline Persing said...

I love your little houses. I wonder if I could make little houses from lumps of polymer clay.

Sam I Am...... said...

I could sit there all day and the bark would not speak to me. You are very talented! I love the little house I have that you made and the tree too. I cherish it!