Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Cathie and Marilyn

My best friend in High School was a girl named Cathie.  I met Cathie in seventh grade…her last name a W and mine a Y meant that every class where the kids were seated alphabetically I often sat right behind her or very close to her.

Being a farm kid having a friend in town had it’s perks.  I had a safe place to go after school and a place to stay all night if needed.  I loved going there…I no longer had to be the oldest and most responsible… Cathie was the middle child, Cathie’s brother was older…and her sister the youngest.  I also didn’t “have” to do dishes although I often did.  The girls had their own bathroom and didn’t have to share!  What a perk…at home I had to share with four other people and Cathie just had to share with her sister.

Cathie’s mother was Marilyn.  Marilyn made you feel like you were just one of the family.

Marilyn would set the breakfast table the night before…it must have been the last thing she did at night.  In the morning grapefruits would be cut in half and the sections would be cut so they were easy to get out with your grapefruit spoon.  I had no experience with a grapefruit spoon until then.  She was a good cook too, sometimes she would get out the white tablecloths and extra tables would go from the dining room straight into the living room…and there was no “kids” table.  Gravy in a boat…and real napkins.  “May I be excused?”  Sometimes she was kind of formal…no one was excused from the table until they asked to be excused.

Marilyn always had time to listen to what you had to say…sometimes if my point of view was a bit skewed (which it often was) she would put one hand on her hip and say “Now Connie…”  and then proceed to give me some input that may or may not change my mind.

Marilyn and the kids were in church every Sunday…it was nice to have a friend held captive on Sunday mornings just like I was.

When my sister was born, my Dad went back to the Cities to work until Mom could come home from the hospital.  It was Marilyn that drove out to the farm and picked us all up to go and see our new baby sister in Detroit Lakes Minnesota.  I was fifteen and could have driven to Detroit Lakes myself…but Marilyn was happy to take us….it was probably safer too!

Marilyn was a working single mother for a number of years…until she met Bob and remarried. When all the kids were gone from home, Marilyn and Bob were in church most Sundays in the wintertime…Bob worked on the Ore Boats out of Duluth.  He belonged to a different church but after the kids left home he most often attended with Marilyn.

Bob died in 1991.  An aneurism took him quickly.  Marilyn left for her heavenly home and  joined Bob on November 5 2015.  The funeral was yesterday.  It was a very nice service with some wonderful messages.  A granddaughter talked about “The Dash” and read the poem along with some heartfelt sharing of her Grandma’s dash.Marilyns Flowers Nov 9 2015

Cathie has been her mother’s caregiver for years.

Cathie November 9 (2)

Cathie will have some time on her hands now, being strong like her Mother she will carry on.  My hope for her is that she will concentrate on her grandchildren and be the best grandma ever.

Cathie and her brother read my blog just about everyday. I would like to thank them for sharing their wonderful mother with me.  A honest woman of faith, strength and laughter who made a great impact on me in my teenage/young adult years.

Blog Signature

22 comments:

Meggie said...

What a beautiful tribute to Marilyn....I had never read "The Dash", until this morning. It's a beautiful reminder of what's important in life....thanks for sharing.

Sam I Am...... said...

A beautiful tribute and what a wonderful woman. My sympathies go out to the family and especially your friend. I'll have to go read "the Dash".

Cathie said...

Thank you Connie for the kind words. I'll always remember when she made your birthday cake with candles that wouldn't burn out......I still have that photo. I am so very thankful to have you as a friend. What an honor.

linda m said...

My sympathies to you and Marilyn's family. Your tribute to Marilyn was very beautiful.

thecrazysheeplady said...

So important. So important. I am sorry for the loss - for you all.

Tired Teacher said...

I know Marilyn found the table already set when she got to heaven.

Mac n' Janet said...

You're lucky to have had someone like that in your life, she sounds like a special lady. Hope your friend isn't too devastated.

Intense Guy said...

A beautiful tribute indeed. The woman sounds like an Honorary Aunt (or even Mom) to you -

My sympathies to the family (including you!). Thoughts and prayers.

Judy said...

Condolences to both you and her family plus all others who will miss her...When her daughter becomes accustomed to the vacancy in the house and her life, perhaps she will find time for herself...Caregiving is a full time job...

Linda W. said...

What a wonderful tribute to your friend's mother. She sounded like a great woman.

Terry and Linda said...

This is extremely beautiful, Connie!

Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful lady, so gracious and caring. Cherish the memories!

Red said...

Great tribute to Marilyn from a very direct experience. I'm sorry for your loss.

Country Gal said...

Really puts perspective on life and what really is important ! Lovely Tribute ! Sorry for your loss .

Nezzy (Cow Patty Surprise) said...

'Beautiful tribute my friend. My heart goes out to you and your precious friends family

Hugs and prayers sweetie..

Unknown said...

Marilyn reminds me of my mother. All my friends wanted her to be their second mother, sometimes I got jealous!

Anonymous said...

This is a beautiful post in honor of your friend's mother. And the dash is a very good reminder of what is important. RIP Marilyn.

L. D. said...

A great post that gives a tribute to your friend. Those memories were so good and it is nice you can see her family that she left behind. It still is hard to lose a good friend.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful tribute to your friend's mother.
Karen

Granny Marigold said...

What a sweet and caring woman Marilyn must have been. You are blessed to have known her.

Jacqi Stevens said...

"The Dash" always gets me. That's the real point. Your friend's mom instinctively knew that. How wonderful to have gotten to know her like that, as you did.

My prayers for everyone's comfort and encouragement--including yours!

Linda Reeder said...

I loved reading this post about your very special friendship with this mother and daughter. Marilyn's dash was well lived.
I was not familiar with this poem so I just read it now before commenting. Thank you for sharing this special story.