Friday, July 22, 2011

The Carving Exhibit

Art and what is art is very subjective..what I like and think is cuter than a bugs ear..some people may find weird.

IMG_4676 

This is a wood carving.  Paul is a professional woodcarver..he gets mega bucks for his “stuff.”

 

IMG_4666

This is a project that we are all working on now..Byron carves with us and is teaching us how to end up with a bouquet of Lady Slippers. ( Mine will be a work in progress for many weeks.)

IMG_4667

These are Sheila’s carvings..she is very talented.

IMG_4670

All these fish are carved by Kenny..he is an awesome carver.

IMG_4691

These are Reynold’s Bark Carvings we attended a class taught by him last summer.  He was featured recently in a Carving Magazine..he didn’t show up last week ..I hope his head didn’t swell too big after being published.

IMG_4661

These are Dave’s..he just retired last January..he is a power carver..he uses power tools to carve.

The Loon on the top of the case belongs to a gentleman that I just met last week…Bob (I think) a retired teacher.

IMG_4668

These carvings belong to my cousin Chuckie.  He is a self taught carver that began whittling with a carpet knife over his noon hour.  Yes, he carved those chain links out of a 2X4 piece of wood.  He likes to carve birds and ducks..and Santas.

IMG_4685

Last but not least is Far Guy.  His whimsical bark carvings and his thread spool.  I did the house on the left. 

More woodcarvings another day:)

Blog Signature

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Each of you are super talented and creative! Love all these pieces!

Jeanne Estridge said...

These are all so great in their own separate ways.

I love your gnomish little house!

Country Gal said...

Oh WOW! they are all so awesome ! what talent ! Have a great day !

Nancy said...

The patience it must take to make all of these pieces!

Kudos to all of the carvers.

DJan said...

I love them all, but especially Paul's little tiger...

Karen said...

Wow! My favourites are the fish and the standing birds. Wish I had that much patience, and that much talent...

That Janie Girl said...

Those are some awesome pieces! Beautiful!

Patsy said...

I like the little tiger ,what talent you all have. Wonderful!

Gail said...

I can only think of one over used, understated word for this exhibit...Wow!

I do not have this talent and admire those who do.

Laura said...

I love them!
When my father-in-law was semi-retired and in his 70's, he started doing chainsaw carving and woodturning. He was self-taught and did pretty well for himself.
I always wanted to learn carving, but just haven't...yet.

Changes in the wind said...

Like your guys the best!

MTWaggin said...

A talented bunch you have there and such lovely work. Truly sculptors in their own right and I love wood so it is something I totally admire (but cannot do)!

Intense Guy said...

Way cool!!

:) I'd love to see these in person!

LindaG said...

I think all the carvings are fantastic! :)

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

That's a lot of talent in one area. I too love the little Hobbit Houses you and Far Guy do. They all require a lot of detail and time. I'm very impressed.

Rita said...

Wow! The tiger is so cute! A lot of talented folks! And one is your cousin--aha! Runs in the family. Love your little hobbit houses! :)

Dreaming said...

I didn't know you and Far Guy carved. Your pieces are very unique. I think if I tried carving something I might end up in the ER - I can be a clutz!

I also love the tiger. He is just too darn cute!

Anonymous said...

Lovely carvings! I like the ladyslippers and that tiger is cute too.

Lynda said...

They are all great! It is a gift and talent to be able to see something in your mind and have your hands actually create it. Plus, color coordinating skills are involved in the painting of the carved objects. I'm impressed with everything you have shown.
How is Far Guy's hand? Has he gotten total use back of his fingers? Did it cause any arthritis? Or is he still in the recovery process? I know some injuries can take 6 months to a year to regain maximum healing.