Monday, November 9, 2015

Shiny Brites, Santa Woodcarvings and a book

I bought that whole box of Shiny Brites for one ornament.  I will let you guess which one.

IMG_1666

However the one satin bulb on the left is interesting.

IMG_1667

Some crocheting wonder with lots of time on her hands grandma crocheted a cover for a satin ornament. It is quite striking. 

There were only five REAL Shiny Brites in the box…the striped one and four others.

There is a fine line between REAL Shiny Brites and other ornaments …like Coby…they used the same machines/process…borrowed it I believe and marked theirs Made In The USA. They were all manufactured about the same time.  Real Shiny Brites are marked Shiny Brite Made in the USA. War time Shiny Brites had cardboard tops because metal was needed in the war effort. The Vintage Shiny Brites were discontinued in 1961.  At one time they were the most popular ornament in the United States and you could buy a box of twelve for 60 cents..or singly for 5 to 10 cents each usually the singles were marked with an old grease pencil….If I wander across one I leave the markings intact.

I painted some of the ageing woodcarvings that I found in a box upstairs.  No kidding I think I carved these about ten years ago.  They were supposed to be “THE” carved Christmas Ornament one year that never made it past the carving stage.  IMG_1662

I like the ivory ones better than the stark white ones.  I have a few more yet to finish.  Each one is a bit different…and has it’s own personality.

I read a book over the weekend.  Memory Boy by Will Weaver…he is a local boy who graduated with Far Guy.  He is a little uppity now since he is semi famous in his own mind.  I enjoyed the book…it was written for teenage boys…I think I will pass it on to my grandsons….it was an easy read and entertaining.

  Blog Signature

21 comments:

DJan said...

That new Shiny Brite, it's easy to tell it from the others, along with the crocheted one. And each of those Santas sure does have its own personality! :-)

linda m said...

I like your new Shiny Brite ornament. as well as your carved Santas. Would you believe I get to rake leaves today?

Anonymous said...

Love that Shiny Brite! Always fun to come and read about them. The Santas have been transformed! Very cute. Hope you show those awesome trees when you get them done. I love how they're bent over.

Henny Penny said...

It was fun catching up with your posts. I can't imagine there still being Shiny Brite ornaments out there to buy. Growing up, I'm sure we broke several every Christmas. Poppy will enjoy your post on deer hunting.

Intense Guy said...

Ah, I love those Santas!

Linda Kay said...

We have a friend that carves Santas.

Karen said...

I like those Santas!

Linda W. said...

I love your carved Santas! Such great detail!

Tired Teacher said...

Yea, the Santas are out of storage, painted, and look fabulous. I like the ivory (rustic-looking) ones, too. Well done!

Cynthia said...

I've seen a few Shiny Brites for sale without the metal hanger and wondered why they didn't get tossed. Didn't realize they were ones made during the war! I love the carved Santas. They look like something my dad would have made. He was a woodcarver, too.

thecrazysheeplady said...

What's the oldest Shiny Brite you have?

Anonymous said...

I cam back here to send younto this link. I spotted it online today. https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/thegildedlily/2299558/christmas_ornaments_-_vintage_shiny_brite_-_scrabble_tile_pendant_-_s/handmade/jewelry/pendants

It's a scrabble tile made into a pendant with an image of a Shiny Brite box on it. Cute!

Red said...

Who would have thought that Christmas ornaments could be of such a wide variety. I wonder if later ornaments will become collectible?

L. D. said...

I guess I don't know if mine are real shiny brites or not. I do have a cardborad holder with shiny brite printed all over it. I think it hold 12 balls. I just ran across in a collectors book that shared about the German kobel ornaments. That was new info for me. I don't go to antique shops so I can't even be considered a collector. I did see old ones in an antique store, in a jar,in Grand Marais 12 years ago. I didn't buy anything. I really like your collection.

Paula said...

I have come calling from Goodnight Gram's Blog. Now I can't wait to unpack my ornaments to see if I have any shiny brites! Love the carved Santas!!

Terry and Linda said...

You are an amazing artist, Connie. Seeing the personality in the wood is a huge deal; bringing it to life an even bigger gift.
Linda
http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com
https://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com/sherlock-boomer

lisa said...

I am sure your grandson will treasure it always! I love the carvings, you are so talented.

Granny Marigold said...

Like Paula Kaye I will be taking a good look at some of my older ornaments to see if they have words stamped on them. I'm always early so I will probably get my ornaments out in 3 weeks.

Linda Reeder said...

Those carved Santas really did need to escape from their hiding. They are wonderful!

Jacqi Stevens said...

Interesting how you can follow a pattern to carve something, and yet each one turns out with its own personality. Just the few seen in the photo show that clearly!

Rita said...

Well, I'm pretty darn sure you bought the box for the striped shiny brite, but I can't believe you wouldn't have bought the box regardless--LOL! The crocheted ball is unique!
Love the painted Santas! Wow!
"semi famous in his own mind"--ROFL! :)