Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Afternoon

We spent the afternoon with our daughter Trica and her family at her in laws home in nearby Park Rapids. Our son in law is the baby in a family of eight. Most all of them were there. It was a full house, so two more added to the mix didn't make much difference as I was reminded several times during the afternoon.
I did enjoy my time visiting with Granddaughter Madison, we talked about school and hockey. She got a chance to talk to me one on one. She is struggling with her Math, thought she knew the material, but totally blew a test. She still wants a horse, and a puppy. Both ideas I tried to gently put to rest, you live in town and horses aren't allowed and the best time to get a puppy is right after school is out for the summer. She talked all about the books she is reading. When she was barred from the adult table because she wanted to sit next to me, I just told her we would sit together on the floor by the fireplace and eat our dinner. So we did. After dinner, we played a game called Phase Ten with Granddaughter Paige and one of their other cousins, Matthew who is also 10. I tried to find the rules of the game. Those kids made up rules right and left. Funny how you can have such a good time with three nine and ten year old kids.
Madison, Gizmo and Matthew
I pods, phones and hand held games seemed to be the order of the day, as all of the children had them. Even the adults were checking their pagers and phones. The teenagers had multiple devices. No one was really communicating (as in talking to each other) ...I found it strange..I would have made a pretty little basket and checked all electronic devices at the door. That may have sparked some lively conversation:)
Yes, the Lake is totally frozen! It is one huge reflective surface.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Except for all the devices - what a good idea to check them in at the door - just like they do at school over here!

And ice on the lake - what fun!

Jewel said...

The lake is beautiful, and I agree check all electronic devices at the door. I hope you had a great day.

RURAL said...

Wonderful photos, and I hope that despite the electronic gadgets you still had a good time?

What a joy it would be to look out on the lake everday.

Jen

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful, especially eating by the fireplace!

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Sounds like a wonderful day; the kids look delightful. Reminds of a meal we had once at a restaurant: At the table next to us was a family with 2 young teenage girls and they spent the entire meal fiddling with celphones. No interaction; just texting or whatever it was.