Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wistful Wednesday: 1936?

This photo may have been taken in the summer of 1936.  The babe in arms was born in October of 1935, I believe it is my Aunt Anna.  The fellow holding the baby is most certainly my Uncle Wilbert, he was born in 1912, so he would have been 23 years old.  The little girl who I think is my Aunt Marie would have been just about 7 years old and that little boy..could be my Dad who would have been almost 9 years old…or is it Uncle George who would have been almost 12 or Uncle Adolf who would have been 13 that year?

IM_A0064

The only clue we have is that this is “Wilbert’s Family” and it is.. just which members? ( My Aunt Senia wrote on the photo)

I don’t see my Dad in the little boys face, but I don’t see my Uncles faces either.  I do kind of see my Aunt Anna in that cute little chubby baby face.  Aunt Marie, the little girl on the left has her face down, so it is really hard to tell if it is her or not.

This is a school photo of my Father..possibly taken about the same time. I need to restore this photo..it is in very poor shape.

Jake

IM_A0064

I still cannot decide if it is my Dad or not.  Now that I have the photo enlarged I will have him look at it someday:)

Blog Signature

12 comments:

Intense Guy said...

This is not saying much, but the boy does looks like your Dad - same overall on... perhaps just a different haircut. I was just telling someone I was horrible at guessing ages of young boys in old photos... LOL - 9 or 12-13.. I dunno. :)

The picture of your dad is really nice one even if you think it needs to be restored.

DJan said...

Amazing that your dad is still around to ask, makes me just a bit envious, but then I realize my own dad would have had to live to be 95 to still be around.

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos. I love old photos of family , I have posted some of my family in past posts myself. Great post ! Have a wonderful day !

Dreaming said...

I do think it is your dad. There's something about the cheeks, nose and chin - not to mention the blond hair (although I bet all of the boys had that!).
But... I'm terrible at seeing likenesses, so I wouldn't consider my comments as very credible if I were you ;-)
Fun pictures. You're lucky that the picture at least identified the family! I have a bunch of pictures with nothing... no clue, except that they are in a book or in bundles with pictures we do recognize!

Harriet said...

The nose does not look like your dads neither do I see a cleft in the chin. But then--I may be wrong.

Mary Aalgaard said...

This is a great old photo with the house in the background. It reminds me of our family's photos. Maybe your dad will remember taking the photo.

Pamela said...

If my dad was alive he would be 111. He was old when I was born (but still!)

I have very few photos of dad when he was young. I was child no 8, so there are few photos of me as well.

Just Stuff From a Boomer said...

Love the old photos. When I see a child's photo like that and I know what the future held, I wish I could whisper in their ear. You'll be fine or don't take this path, etc. I also wonder what they were thinking at the time.

Leilani Schuck Weatherington said...

Ah, yes, the mystery of who is who in old photos. Now that my mother has died, I have no clue who some of the people are in the photos that only she knew about. One of those things you don't think about taking care of until it is too late.

Alan Burnett said...

Yes, I know what you mean about seeing someone you have known as an adult in a child's face. Sometimes you can instantly recognise a look or expression, sometimes they are a foreign land.

L. D. said...

Maybe another photo will show up that will link it. I am trying to figure out what the triangular shape is that is on the house.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, I think and this is just a guess that it is the root cellar:)