Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hands On Museum Fun

Last week at the museum I took in a donation from one of the board members.  It was a bunch of nib pens, a slate pencil and a bottle of ink and an old bottle filled with black food coloring.

I got to thinking..would children today like to practice writing with what pioneer children used years ago?

The slate pencil frustrated me..(I am an idiot some days) I was trying to use the slate pencil on a piece of paper.  Ding Ding..it is a slate pencil and will only work on a piece of slate.  I was thinking perhaps I need to sharpen it..or rough it up with some sandpaper…however it works just fine on the slate.  Add me to the list of people that learn something new everyday.

 IMG_4112

I cleared off a section of the counter in my office and we now have a hands on dipping pen to use with black food coloring ( It works very similar to ink)  and a slate with a slate pencil.  Children by the name of Amelia and Thomas thought that this was a great hands on experience.  Thomas loved ships and drew me several!  Since then some adults tried the hands on exhibit and they declared it fun too!  There are real pencils on the counter that we give away as gifts to children.

I will keep this exhibit in my office for awhile..I have a few more ideas up my sleeve.. just for kidsSmile

Blog Signature

21 comments:

troutbirder said...

Fun indeed. If memory serves, well occasionally, a beautiful campground and beach at Cass Lake, decades ago. mmm. South something I think.

Intense Guy said...

Ah, what a great idea!

Gail said...

What a fantastic idea!!! I, too, would enjoy that display. I have used neither and it would be a great adventure. This could prove why children didn't stay in school very many years!

Laura said...

A wonderful idea!

DJan said...

I think it's a great idea. Wish I was close enough to visit myself! :-)

linda m said...

Nice touch added to the museum. Good thinking on your part.

LindaG said...

What a great donation!
You've been looking for interactive displays and now you have two.
I've never seen a real slate pencil so thanks for the photo!

Nancy said...

It sounds like fun. Did anyone leave with black smudges on their fingers from the "ink"?

Jinglebob said...

Good thinking!

Country Gal said...

What a wonderful idea !
I to wish I was close enough to visit!
Papa and I love Antiquing and he loves to collect the old hand wood working tools and does use some of them from time to time ! Have a great day !

lisa said...

Sounds like you are getting the hang of this museum stuff ;)

Rita said...

You couldn't keep me away from a nib pen and a bottle of ink when I was young. Who am I kidding--to this very day! And a slate pencil, too. Never tried one of those. What an awesome gift to the museum. And you put it to good use. :):)

Becca's Dirt said...

Duh for me too - I was there with ya trying to write on the paper. Hit me in the head... I am so glad we don't have to dip our pens to write.

Lynda said...

Very, very good idea. And I like that you said you will keep it out for a while. That means you will replace it with something else. People can keep coming back to see what's new!

Maery Rose said...

Sounds like a great idea. It's always nice when you get positive feedback too.

Anonymous said...

A wonderful addition to the museum. Looks like fun for all ages.

Anonymous said...

Catching up with you now after a tiring week - but fun1

Love love this idea of a slate pen - bet the kids will love it!

And what cute photos of Chance and his friends. Hope summer is still with you, but perhaps not quite as hot!

Exchange server hosting said...

Beautiful idea!

CiCi said...

Just for kids or for the kid in all of us? Sounds like a fun addition to the museum experience. You are really making a difference there.

Merideth in Wyoming said...

What a wonderful idea!!! I bet a lot of kids will remember this years down the road. Clever!

L. D. said...

That is a good idea.